We offer some of our undergraduate degrees in partnership with the Singapore Institute of Management (SIM), the leading private education provider in Singapore. This option is ideal for students from the region who wish to avoid the expense of studying in Birmingham.
Download the SIM BSc Programmes brochure (PDF - 1.3MB)
Read all out about Birmingham Business School in 中文简体.
Why study at Birmingham?
The University of Birmingham was founded in 1900 and is now one of the largest in the UK, offering degrees across a wide range of disciplines. It is a major centre of research and academic study with an established international reputation for excellence and numbers 11 Nobel Prize winners among its staff and alumni.
- We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group of 24 UK research intensive universities and of the Universitas 21 global network of top universities around the world.
- We are ranked second for being targeted by the top UK employers (High Fliers Research 2020).
- We are ranked among the top 20 UK universities in the Guardian University Guide 2019
- Birmingham Business School’s Department of Accounting and Finance is recognised by the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) as a Centre of Excellence in finance teaching
- Birmingham Business School holds the coveted 'triple-crown' of accretitation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS).
The BSc degree programmes
The degree programmes are modelled on the UK programmes with the same name and faculty who already teach modules in Birmingham fly to Singapore to teach their modules in block format. The programmes available are:
Most students come from Singapore or around the Asia/Pacific region, although we have a few European students who have chosen to take the SIM DMS which we accredit as equivalent to our first year.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) latest updates and FAQs for future students and offer-holdersVisit our FAQs
Please check with SIM for the latest fees information.
For more information on the Singapore BSc programmes:
BSc (Hons) Accounting and finance
- Accounting Diplomas from local Polytechnics*
- Non-Accounting Diplomas from local Polytechnics with successful completion of the SIM Preparatory Course in Accounting and Finance
BSc (Hons) Busines Management programmes
- Diploma in Accounting/ Banking and Finance/ International Business/ Management Studies awarded by SIM
- Business related Diplomas from local Polytechnics*
- Non-Business related Diplomas from local Polytechnics with successful completion of the SIM Preparatory Course in Business
English proficiency requirement
Successful completion of a recognised approved diploma, where the language of instruction was English.
*Please refer to the SIM GE website for a list of Accounting and/or Business related Diplomas that may be eligible for advanced standing into the two-year programmes.
Applicants must obtain an average of Grade B. Applicants may be interviewed prior to acceptance into the programme.
All other qualifications will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
All admissions are based on merit and are subject to the final approval of the University. No exemptions will be granted.
Please visit the SIM GE website for full details on the programme admission criteria including English proficiency.
Depending on your chosen course of study, you may also be interested in one of our foundation pathways, which offer specially structured programmes for international students whose qualifications are not accepted for direct entry to UK universities. Further details can be found on Birmingham International Academy web pages.
The academic year runs from July to June, and because of the advanced standing they are given because of their prior studies, students complete their Bachelor degree in two years.
Students are accepted onto our second year with a Singapore Polytechnic Business Diploma or Diploma in Accounting/Banking and Finance/International Business/ Management Studies offered by SIM.
The BSc International Business includes two compulsory periods of study overseas. The first is spent in Birmingham, the other at one of the University of Birmingham’s partners around the globe. In recent years students have studied in a number of countries including Canada, China, Denmark, France, Japan, Korea and Sweden.
The BSc Business Management with Industrial Placement is only open to Singaporean nationals and these complete two compulsory work placements as part of their programme.
Contact hours for this programme equate to 30 hours per module, with 12 modules taught in year 2 and 10 modules taught in year 3. Modules are taught in a block format over 2 weeks with students attending class for 3 hours a day over 10 days.
Birmingham Business School thrives on strong links with industry and employers. Our Advisory Board consists of high-level executives selected for their exceptional stature.
At Birmingham Business School, we create business degree courses which academically and personally prepare you for the working world. Your degree is evidence of your ability to succeed in a demanding academic environment.
Employers target our students for their key employability skills developed during the degree programmes. Our graduate employability statistics are significantly above national trends. Birmingham Business School’s graduates are sought after by employers, with recent graduates being recruited by Procter & Gamble, IBM, HSBC, Barclays Capital and Dow Chemical Pacific.
Thanks to SIM’s network of business contacts in Singapore, the University’s partnership with SIM and its alumni network will ensure that this close relationship with industry is maintained in Singapore. Like their counterparts in the UK, students will get the exposure necessary to attain real world expertise
Find out more about student life at SIM.