Practice Placement 6 – The Emerging Graduate Physiotherapist
This 8-week placement will be the final module of the Programme. Together with consolidation of communication, assessment, management, treatment, handling and CPD skills developed from previous placements, this placement will prepare students for practice as graduate physiotherapists. Students will participate in an aspect of audit, evaluation, or service development, and have opportunity to develop leadership skills through mentorship of first year physiotherapy students. They will be expected to demonstrate highly proficient skills of caseload management, e.g. time management, prioritisation of caseload, accurate reporting and recording, adaptable and fluent communication, managing demands and conflicts of the workplace.
The placement will incorporate a non-contact day each week to allow for mentorship of first year student, and project work related to audit, evaluation or service development.
- Pre-placement study day to include lectures, tutorials and group work in preparation for placement.
- Weekly tutorials – held between 3rd and 1st year students to allow for peer learning and mentorship, and with University staff to support service development projects.
- Practice Placement Learning in Practice setting to include audit or service development project, alongside case management experience.
- Mark derived from Practice Placement Assessment Form (75% weighting)
- Written report of project - 500 words (15% weighting)
- Portfolio entry critically reflecting on mentorship of 1st year student - 300 words (10% weighting)