Linking theory and practice in sport and exercise placements
- Sport and Exercise Sciences BSc (Hons)
The aim of this module is to enable students to work alongside (assist) established professionals in real-life professional environments in order to:
a) develop an in-depth understanding of relevant career pathways and the requirements/expectations of the selected fields;
b) enhance their communication, interpersonal and other work-related and personal skills;
c) use qualitative research techniques to identify areas for development in the volunteering context; and
d) make effective, appropriate recommendations based on research-based knowledge to enhance practice. This experience is also expected to improve students’ employability prospects.
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- Use qualitative research techniques to analyse the selected organisation’s cultures, structures and policies and explore the key areas for improvement in effective professional practice
- Synthesise theoretical and practical (personal) knowledge to develop evidence-based understandings of, and recommendations for, effective professional practice
- Communicate their recommendations in an appropriate, accessible format for their host organisation.
- Summary of identified “issues” in own volunteering context (500 words), supported by interview schedule and annotated thematic map and transcript.
- Accessible summary of research-based practice recommendations, supported by five “most relevant” research papers and updated summary of identified issues.