Your accommodation

Students at Birmingham have a wide range of accommodation to choose from in the University's three student villages: The Vale Village, Pritchatts Park Village and Selly Oak Village, all of which are a short walk from Priorsfield and your academic departments. As a Foundation Pathways student your accommodation is guaranteed*. 

Accommodation Open Day 2016

University accommodation consists of flats offering your own study bedroom and kitchen/lounge facilities usually shared between four and six students. We offer a range of en-suite and shared bathroom accommodation options. A range of studio apartments are also available, where you have exclusive use of kitchen and bathroom facilities. All bedrooms are fully furnished and offer 30 Mb/s wireless internet connection.

Benefits of accommodation

Benefits of your accommodation include: 

  • Staff available 24 hours a day throughout the year.
  • A dedicated International Student Support Coordinator, based at the Vale Village, who offers additional support and guidance for our international residents.
  • The accommodation fee includes all utility bills, 30 Mb/s wireless internet connection as well as basic contents insurance for the items in your room.
  • Meal Plan (catered) accommodation is also available to students who live at the Vale Village.
  • Adapted rooms are available for wheelchair users and for students with hearing and sight impairment. Please contact us if you require specially adapted accommodation.
  • Read further information about each village, including virtual tours of bedrooms and kitchens

For more information about University accommodation, please contact Living, Accommodation Services.

The accommodation guarantee*

You are guaranteed a place in University accommodation provided that you:

  • Apply through UCAS and make Birmingham your firm choice university.
  • Firmly accept the offer of a place from the University and make sure that your application for accommodation is received by our Accommodation Services department by 31 July 2019.
  • Confirm you are coming to Birmingham by 1 September 2019.
  • Are coming to the University on your own.
  • Agree to remain in your University accommodation for the full term of your contract.

More information about the Accommodation Guarantee Scheme can be found here.

What if I apply after 31 July?

If you apply after 31 July, we cannot guarantee you accommodation but we will do our best to assist you. Where we have vacancies we will offer these rooms, and if we do not have accommodation within our own stock we will advise you on suitable alternative options.      

International Student Support Coordinator

Our International Student Support Coordinator, based at the Vale Village, works closely with accommodation staff to offer tailored support, advice and guidance for you as a Foundation Pathway student.

They will also arrange a variety of activities to help you familiarise yourself with campus buildings, facilities and services, shopping areas, places of interest and local transport networks, as well as a number of social events.

Meal Plan (catered) accommodation

If you live at the Vale Village, you may be allocated into a Meal Plan room. Meal Plan gives you a flexible weekly allowance that you can spend on food in University catering outlets including Infusion, The Melt and Pizza Shack on the Vale, as well as around 40 other food and drink outlets across campus. It is a great opportunity to meet other residents and socialise over meals, and helps free up time for studying, as you don't need to worry about food shopping, cooking or washing up.

Most dietary requirements can be catered for.


Applying for accommodation

Once you have received an offer of a place to study at the University of Birmingham, you will need to apply for your accommodation online. You will need your student ID to apply.

Please note: There is no application fee and no obligation to come to Birmingham at this stage

Living, Accommodation Services will then send you an offer of accommodation once you have met all of the conditions of your University offer and your University offer becomes unconditional. The offer of accommodation will contain instructions on how to accept your accommodation and how to set up payments.

    • If you will be under the age of 18 at the start of the course, you will be living with other Under-18 students in Shackleton, on the Vale Village. However, if you would prefer to live with a local relative or designated guardian, this is possible, by prior agreement.
    • If you will be over the age of 18 at the start of the course, University accommodation is recommended; however, you can also choose to live off site, in private accommodation.

Accommodation fees 

The cost of accommodation varies depending on the type of accommodation you are allocated to. Prices (42-week contract) for a self-catered, single study bedroom with shared bathroom start from £3,610; en-suite, self-catered accommodation from £5,928 and studio apartments from £8,573.

The prices for meal plan rooms start from £5,210.

More information about accommodation fees can be found here.

Please note: accommodation fees are not part of the Foundation Pathways package, and will be billed separately.

Accommodation for students under the age of 18 years

If you will be under the age of 18 at the start of the course, you will be living with other Under-18 students in Shackleton, on the Vale Village. This accommodation is located in the same building as The Hub, which contains the Vale Village Reception, open 24 hours, 7 days a week, ensuring support is always close by. The Hub also provides a large convenience store, a range of catering outlets and a 24-hour launderette.

Under 18 accommodation in Shackleton includes the Meal Plan package.

On arrival, you will also be provided with a bedding pack, which will include duvet, duvet cover, pillow, pillowcase and sheet (please note: towels are not provided). In addition to this, you will also receive a kitchen pack for each flat, and one dining pack for each student.

If you would prefer to live with a local relative or designated guardian, this is also possible, by prior agreement.