FAQs -Your accommodation

Please see some specific questions about your accommodation for the Foundation Pathways:  

Where will I live? 

As a Foundation Pathways student you accommodation is guaranteed. You have a wide range of accommodation to choose from in the University's three student villages: The Vale Village, Pritchatts Park Village, and Selly Oak Village, all of which are a short walk from Priorsfield and your academic departments.

University accommodation consists of flats offering your own study bedroom and kitchen/lounge facilities usually shared between four and six other students. There is a choice of either sharing bathroom facilities or en-suite accommodation. The University also has a range of studio apartments where you have exclusive use of kitchen and bathroom facilities. All bedrooms are fully furnished and offer both a cabled and wireless internet connection.

A Customer Service Manager, living on site, will be on hand to help you with any welfare issues you may come across, and ensure you have no difficulties in your day-to-day life here.

For further information about the accommodation for the Foundation Pathways.

Or for further information about each village, including virtual tours of bedrooms and kitchens..

What is the cost of the accommodation?

The cost of accommodation varies depending on the type of accommodation you choose (42-week contract):

  • for a single study bedroom with shared kitchen and bathroom start from £3,645
  • En-suite accommodation from £5,733
  • Studio apartments from £8,573

For further information please visit undergraduate accommodation.

Please note: Accommodation fees are not included in the Foundation Pathways Package.

What is provided in my accommodation?

The benefits of University accommodation include:

  • Staff available 24 hours a day throughout the year
  • A Residential Advisor lives on site in Mason and provides social and personal support
  • Fully heated accommodation inclusive of all heating, hot water and electricity bills
  • Basic personal contents insurance
  • 20 Mbps Cabled and wireless internet connection including access to an internet television service (IPTV)
  • Fully furnished room
  • Internet upgrade packages are available also.

A fully catered package is available. Adapted rooms are also available for wheelchair users and for students with hearing and sight impairment. (Please contact us if you require specially adapted accommodation.)

What do I need to do to confirm my accommodation and pay for it?

Once you have received an offer of a place to study here, you will need to apply for your accommodation online. You will need your student ID and an email address to apply. Please apply here. 

Please note: There is no application fee and no obligation to come to Birmingham at this stage.

LIVING, the University’s Accommodation Service, will then send you an offer of accommodation once you have met all of the conditions of your offer and become unconditional. The offer of accommodation will contain instructions on how to accept your accommodation and how to set up payments.

Do I have to live in University accommodation? 

  • If you will be under the age of 18 at the start of the course, accommodation in dedicated university accommodation is compulsory; however if you would prefer to live with a local relative or designated guardian, this is possible, by prior agreement
  • If you will be over the age of 18 at the start of the course, University accommodation is highly recommended; however, you can also choose to live off site, in private accommodation, this is possible, by prior agreement.

For further information, please visit undergraduate accommodation

What is the Residential Advisor?

The University offers a special level for you as a Foundation Pathways student. The Residential Advisor, who lives on site in University accommodation, is there to provide advice and guidance which means there is always someone available for you if you need support.

They will also arrange a variety of activities to help you familiarise yourself with campus buildings, facilities and services, shopping areas, places of interest, and local transport networks, and will arrange social gatherings.

Who do I contact if I have any questions about student accommodation?

If you have accepted your offer and need to contact LIVING, the University’s Accommodation Service, please use the contact details below:

LIVING Accommodation Services,
Ground Floor, University Centre,
The University of Birmingham
Birmingham, B15 2TT 

 You will need to provide your name and student identification number when you contact them.