First Class Scholarship
- Level of study
- Any Undergraduate
- Subject area
- Civil Engineering, Electronic, Electrical and Systems Engineering, Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- None. Open all year.
The School of Engineering offers 20 first-class scholarships to eligible UK undergraduates. These are to reward the highest achieving students entering the School of Engineering for entry into year 1. These details refer to the award for September 2021 entry.
- The University of Birmingham must be your firm choice on UCAS.
- You must achieve a minimum of A*AA at A-level in approved subjects, including A* in A-level Mathematics or Further Mathematics.
- International Baccalaureates of 32 overall with 766 in HL subjects to include 7 in HL Mathematics minimum.
- The First Class Scholarship has a value of £3000 on entry. Scholarships will be determined during November 2021 based on students that are enrolled within the School of Engineering by this date.
- Other qualifications equivalent to A-levels will be considered – please contact the Admissions Office to find out the criteria.
Value of Award
£3,000 on entry.
Terms and conditions for First-class scholarships
- A minimum performance of A*AA at A-level from the best three most relevant subjects (one of which must be mathematics) is required. Equivalent grades include: 32 points for International Baccalaureate (must include 666 in HL subjects to include Mathematics). Students presenting other qualifications that the ones listed above will be assessed on an individual basis. The university’s decision on whether a qualification is equivalent to grade A A-level is final. Only A-levels in approved subjects count towards the Scholarship. We do not accept General Studies or Critical Thinking, etc. For confirmation about the status of any subject, please contact the Admissions Office.
- To be eligible to be considered for a scholarship a student must be a new entrant UK student who has applied through UCAS and is admitted to the University of Birmingham, School of Engineering, to commence their studies in September 2021. In addition this must be the first entrance to a UK university that a student has made. Students who were not awarded the Scholarship on entry will not be eligible for it in subsequent years.
- The University of Birmingham, School of Engineering programme must be your firm choice on UCAS prior to A-level results day.
- Students in receipt of scholarships from organisations other than the University of Birmingham are also eligible for this award.
- Students who are eligible for the Enhancement Scholarship will not be considered for the First-Class Scholarship.
- Students will be required to act as Student Ambassadors for School of Engineering events, i.e. Open Days.
- Students who are part of a degree apprenticeship are not eligible for the First-Class scholarship.
- There is no special application process for the Scholarship. Awards will be made automatically to all eligible UK students admitted to the School of Engineering in September of the year you commence your study at Birmingham.
- Conditions are subject to change. Awards are made to candidates who meet the terms and conditions current at the time of entry to the University.
- We can consider students who have achieved AAAA in specific subjects. Please contact us for more information.
How to Apply
There is no special application process for the scholarship. Awards will be made automatically to all eligible UK students admitted to the School of Engineering in September 2021 as per the terms and conditions set out above.