Work Experience Bursaries
- Level of study
- Any Undergraduate
- Subject area
- Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Social Sciences
- EU, Overseas (Non-EU), UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 07/04/2019 (Note: competition closed for this year)
The University of Birmingham Work Experience bursary scheme offers financial support for undergraduates (except final years) to undertake work experience.
The work experience can be within the UK, overseas or for research related experiences (for example, a research project at a university or within an organisation that is undertaking research).
Please note that the bursaries are only open to students who have not been awarded a Careers Network Work Experience Bursary previously. Additionally, students can only apply for ether the Work Experience Bursaries or the Gateway Bursary Scheme, not both.
Value of Award
The scheme provides you with a bursary of up to £800 for undergraduates (except final years) to undertake work experience in the UK, overseas or for research related experiences. The amount you apply for will depend on the individual circumstances of your proposed work experience. In the past awards have ranged from £100 to £800 to help with expenses including:
- Accommodation costs
- Travel expenses
- Living costs and utilities bills
- Visa costs
The Work Experience bursaries are:
- Open to full time undergraduate students from the University of Birmingham who are currently in the first, second or penultimate year of their degree (this includes international students)
- Not open to final year undergraduates, all year postgraduates and students from other universities
- Not open to University of Birmingham students studying for one year only as part of an exchange or Erasmus programme
- Not available to assist with the funding of opportunities that do form part of your course requirements
- Not available to assist with electives or opportunities that are part of an accredited module
- Not available to students who have secured a Careers Network Work Experience Bursary previously (either in the same or in previous years)
How to Apply
In order to apply for this bursary you must complete and submit an online application form, which can be found on the Work Experience Bursaries page during the time that the competition is open.
Once the application deadline has passed, all applications received on-line will be assessed by Careers Network staff. Applicants who are successful in passing this first assessment stage will then be invited to attend a short panel interview and to deliver a five minute presentation, training for which will be provided. If you pass both of these stages, you may then be granted a bursary.