Sustainability at the University of Birmingham is the responsibility of all students and staff community and is embedded across our Colleges and Professional Services.
The Sustainability Task Group (STG) oversees the development of policies and practices for sustainability and is complemented by College Environmental Committees who formulate their own plans. Academics and Professional Services staff work together and alongside one another to make Birmingham greener.
To be truly sustainable, we hope all of Birmingham’s staff and students will want to participate in various initiatives. From Terry and his Green Machine to our senior leadership team, everyone has a part to play in making Birmingham sustainable.
Sustainability Task Group
Current Membership of the STG
| Sponsor - Director of Estates
| Professor of Molecular Endocrinology
||Professor Chris McCabe
| Professor of Transport, Energy and Environment
||Professor Miles Tight
| Head of Utilities (Chair)
| Director of Procurement and Insurance
| Head of Grounds and Gardens
| Facilities Manager, University of Birmingham Guild of Students
| Representation and Resources Officer Guild of Students
| Deputy Head of Core Infrastructure
| Policy and Environmental Services Manager
| Innovations Manager
| Sustainable Travel Co-ordinator and Chair of Communications Subgroup
| Energy Development Manager
| College Facilities Manager College of Social Sciences
| Sustainable Logistics Manager
| Procurement Sustainability Champion
| Assistant Director of HR, Workplace Wellbeing
Terms of reference
- The Sustainability Task Group (STG) brings together key individuals from across the university and Guild whose roles impact on the sustainability of the university campus. The group aims:
- To formulate and annually review the university’s sustainability and carbon policies and plans;
- To review and implement sustainability initiatives and practices to ensure consistency with policy;
- To recommend changes to sustainability policy and practice wherever appropriate;
- To consider and promote improvements to the university’s campus operations including (but not limited to) carbon reduction measures;
- To set and monitor appropriate targets for campus sustainability performance.
- The The Group reports to University Executive Board (UEB) at least once per year.
- The The Group will meet a minimum of once per academic term.