Would you like to boost your skillset, knowledge and experience, and take a positive step towards a future career?
The CAL Professional Skills Module enables you to:
- Apply the valuable skills you have developed through your studies
- Develop key professional attributes sought after by graduate employers
- Enhance your employability and self-awareness, and boost your application and interview skills
- Build your professional network and get a great reference
- Explore a career path, reflect on your new experiences, and focus on your future after graduation
What is the Professional Skills Module? A 20-credit, undergraduate module in autumn semester that combines a work experience placement and reflective assessment. Your placement is a minimum of 70 hours (10 days) - taken between late June and December, either site-based or virtually - and provides you with a graduate-level opportunity to develop your skills, knowledge and confidence.
How do I find a placement? You can source your own opportunity - either by approaching organisations speculatively, or applying for advertised internships - or, you can apply for exclusive roles created in partnership with employers from a range of sectors, including: small business; charities; social enterprise, commercial, arts, culture and heritage; and public sector.
The PSM is open to the following students:
- Second year students of: Film and Creative Writing; History & Cultures; Music; Philosophy and Theology & Religion
- Final year students of: Art History; Classics, Ancient History & Archaeology; Drama & Theatre Arts; English Language & Linguistics; English Literature; Film and Creative Writing; Music; Philosophy and Theology & Religion
What do PSM students say?
“I have gained much more confidence through being in a professional environment and realising the skills I am learning on my course can actually be put into a working context with real-life outcomes.”
“As an English Literature student, I was very anxious about finding work in the creative arts sector but this placement has affirmed to me that you can come from relatively any background and find a role that suits you.”
“My placement was the highlight of my first year university experience- I would definitely recommend it to all students! It was an opportunity for me to pursue a project that I was excited and interested in with the support and guidance from an amazing team.”
Please contact Lesley Griffiths, Placements Officer: email@example.com