Student Experience Officer (English, Drama & Creative Studies)
I am a recent University of Birmingham graduate; I completed my BA English here (graduating 2011) and stayed on to complete an MPhil in Literature and Modernity. I have been working for the School of English, Drama and Creative Studies (EDACS) ever since, firstly as the Admissions and Recruitment Co-ordinator and, since September 2015 as the Student Experience Officer. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience as a student here and my hope is that I will be able to help you make the most of your time here at Birmingham. I’m always glad to receive ideas and feedback from students and you are always welcome to get in touch by email, phone, via the School social media or in person!
I work on a wide variety of projects, initiatives and events to enhance your experience in the School of EDACS such as:-
- Organising trips and workshops to ensure students benefit from our collaboration with the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- Organising events to support your studies and enhance your employability such as careers events where recent EDACS graduates give advice to current students, dance workshops for Drama students and Research Poster Competitions where final year students create posters representing their Dissertation research and present them to staff and students at a conference.
- Working on the Undergraduate Research Scholarship scheme where first and second year students can apply for funded placements working alongside academic staff on research projects such as editing books and carrying out research for exhibitions.
- Working with departmental student societies to organise parties, quizzes and cultural events, and on initiatives such as the BEDsoc mentor scheme where second and final year students act as department ‘parents’ to first year undergraduates, helping them to settle into the academic and social life of the department.
- Running the English Literature Stratford Residential, where students have the opportunity to spend a few days in Stratford taking part in literary and creative workshops, seeing plays at the RSC and engaging in participatory activities and social events with students and staff from the Department.
- Ensuring that the student voice is heard. I sit on the Student Staff Committees and help to ensure feedback is acted upon. I also receive feedback from students through a variety of different channels and am always happy to be contacted if you don’t know who else to get in touch with.