The College of Engineering and Physical Sciences is running a series of Inaugural Lectures to showcase the leading scientists who are pushing the boundaries in their disciplines.
The event marks an individual’s promotion to Professor, but also provides a rare opportunity to hear first-hand about their research.
These events are open to the public, and free of charge. Please click on the below headings to learn more and register for the event.
Miss the lecture? Some of the lectures were recorded; follow the links to find out more.
- Aston Webb – Main Lecture Theatre
- Professor O'Reilly will give her inaugural lecture on the 27 February 2019. Titled "Redesigning the world of plastics".
- Feature article on the life and career of Nigel Cassidy, Professor of Geotechnical Infrastructure Engineering, who recently delivered his Inaugural Lecture, entitled 'Eyes for sore sites: a life of geophysics'
- Feature article on the life and research of Professor Nick Green, Director of the High Temperature Research Centre and Professor of Manufacturing Technology at the University of Birmingham, who recently gave his Inaugural Lecture, entitled 'Casting: art to aerospace'.
- Feature on the career of Professor Chris Good, Deputy Head of the School of Mathematics at the University of Birmingham.
- Feature article on Professor Nicola Wilkin, Director of Education at College of Engineering and Physical Sciences and Professor of Physics at the University of Birmingham.
- The capacity audience at Professor David Chapman's Inaugural Lecture were treated to his dramatic tunnel collapse experiment.