The University of Birmingham hosts the Engineering Education Scheme (EES) which runs the residential experience project in December for year 12 students. They undertake a project mentored by professional engineering companies and produce an original piece of engineering. Represenatives of the University also attend the awards ceremony in May.
The Engineering Education Scheme is an Engineering Development Trust (EDT) programme which links local companies with teams of four year 12 or S5/S6 students and their teacher to work on real, scientific, engineering and technological problems.
The scheme provides students with an in-depth experience in science, engineering and technology that will enable them to make an informed decision about their future studies and career.
This will be achieved by giving the students, in a 6 month programme;
- Hands-on work experience as part of a team
- Experience of problem solving, working on a project that is relevant to a local company
- Use of a university’s engineering workshops to develop, build and test solutions to the problem
- Professional skills lectures on Communications (written, verbal and visual) and Project Management
- The opportunity to develop technical skills and see school physics, chemistry, technology etc applied in an industrial environment
- An opportunity to meet professional and graduate engineers, scientists and technologists
- Experience in presenting their solution, in a formal verbal presentation and formal written technical report, to a panel of senior professional engineers
Students will receive an EES National Certificate on successful completion of the programme and a Duke of Edinburgh Skills Certificate. They will also get the opportunity to compete for a British Association (BA) CREST Award.
During their six-month project phase, students are encouraged to show industrial enterprise, creativity and innovation whilst gaining extensive experience of problem-solving, team-working and project management. All key life skills are developed within the context of the world of work.