Forge Your Future is the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences' careers-focussed outreach event for year 10 girls, designed to challenge their perceptions of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) careers, and inspire them to continue to study STEM subjects at A Level and beyond.
The event will be held on our campus and include interactive workshops, and the chance to meet alumni working in STEM careers, as well as tours of campus. The event is free to attend, but places are limited. Forge Your Future 2019 was kindly sponsored by Northrop Grumman.
Registration for the event is now closed. To express your interest in the event or for more information, please email the Outreach and Schools Liaison Officer.
Forge Your Future 2018 was attended by 118 year 10 girls from eight local schools. Below are some of their comments:
- "I found today amazing and really interesting. I am definitely going to study STEM subjects due to today."
- "I really enjoyed today as it was a good experience coming to a university. I think that it was helpful to young girls understand what they want to do and encourage them to take jobs that they would normally be discouraged in doing."
- "I always thought that STEM was quite boring. However, after today STEM seems a lot more interesting and appealing."
- "I was already very sure I wanted to do a STEM subject (computer science). It is a very good experience to talk to someone who studies what I want to do."
- "I think STEM was portrayed as a very useful field and was shown that though difficult, it can be enjoyed. It was comforting to know that its okay to not know what I want to do."