PERCAT Seminar: Introduction to Interdisciplinary Research - 28 January 2021
- Thursday 28 January 2021 (13:00-14:30)
For more information please contact Jennifer Thomson.
The deadline for registration is 12 noon on Tuesday 26th January 2021.
Interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research enable us to address some of the world’s most pressing challenges and allow us to bring different perspectives to bear on important research questions. It can include not only working across academic disciplines but also working with partners from outside University, in industry, government etc. However approaching interdisciplinary research can present challenges to researchers used to working mainly within their own discipline.
This seminar will provide postdocs and early career researchers with an introduction to interdisciplinary research, looking at how to approach it and carry it out effectively. We will be joined by three academics from the University who will share their own experiences of carrying out interdisciplinary research:
- Professor Bill Bloss, Professor of Atmospheric Science in the School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Science. Lead on the multidisciplinary West Midlands Air Quality Improvement Programme (WM-Air) - an initiative to support the improvement of air quality, and associated health, environmental and economic benefits, in the West Midlands.
- Professor Liam Grover, Professor in Biomaterials Science in the School of Chemical Engineers and Director of the Healthcare Technologies Institute (HTI) which brings together leading experts from across disciplines to change the landscape of healthcare. Prof Grover’s research spans the disciplines of materials science and biosciences / biomechanics.
- Professor Dominique Moran, Deputy Director, Institute for Global Innovation and Institute of Advanced Studies at the University of Birmingham. The IGI and IAS are dedicated to supporting world-leading interdisciplinary research at the University and are currently delivering a programme for academic colleagues on how to do interdisciplinary research.
Who is this seminar aimed at?
All postdoctoral and early career research staff within EPS and LES who wish to develop their understanding of interdisciplinary research.
What will you learn from this seminar?
Register Now »
- What is meant by interdisciplinary research.
- Why interdisciplinary research is important.
- How to approach research impact.
- How interdisciplinary research can be carried out effectively.