PERCAT Careers Seminar: Careers outside Academia
- Metallurgy and Materials GC13
- Engineering and Physical Sciences, Lectures Talks and Workshops, Life and Environmental Sciences, Research
Deadline for registration extended!
To register for this event please email Jennifer Thomson by 12 noon on Thursday 28th March 2019.
Are you a postdoctoral or early career researcher looking to explore the career options open to you as you consider your next move? This seminar explores some of the varied career paths open to those with experience as a postdoctoral researcher in the world outside academia, focusing on the fields of industry and the public sector.
There will be guest panel talks and a Q&A session giving attendees the opportunity to find out more about what it is like to work in these fields and how to position yourself to move into these areas.
Our guests are as follows:
- Ben de Laune, PhD Advanced Materials Chemistry and former postdoc in the School of Chemistry, now Waste Packaging Specifications and Guidance Manager at Radioactive Waste Management.
- Diarmuid Lloyd, PhD Biological Physics and former postdoc at the University of Edinburgh, now Assistant Statistician with the Scottish Government.
- Noriko Read, PhD Materials Science and former postdoc in the School of Metallurgy and Materials, now Principal Research Engineer at IHI Europe.
- Laura Sellars, PhD Bacterial Chromosome Organisation and Transcription and former postdoc in the School of Biosciences, now Senior Microbiologist at Perfectus Biomed.
- Glenn Watts, PhD Soil Erosion and Hydrology and postdoc looking at gully head erosion, now Deputy Director of Research at the Environment Agency.
Read more about our guest panel of speakers in the Guest Panel Speakers document.
Who is this seminar aimed at?
All postdoctoral and early career research staff within EPS and LES who would like to know more about the career options outside academia open to those with postdoctoral skills, qualifications and experience.
What will you learn from this seminar?
- Find out about some of the career options open to postdocs.
- Learn about how the skills and experience gained during a postdoc positon can help you move into a career beyond academia.
- Make useful contacts for the future.