PERCAT Workshop: How to Shine in Fellowship and Grant Interviews
- Geography Building 125
- Engineering and Physical Sciences, Lectures Talks and Workshops, Life and Environmental Sciences, Research
Applications now closed.
Clearly a fellowship or major grant interview can have a profound effect on a researcher’s career. Thorough preparation is vital, and that means working on style as well as content.
The way candidates conduct themselves, present ideas and respond to questions has a powerful influence on the way they are perceived. Even an academic front-runner can come unstuck if he or she lacks physical and vocal presence. Assessment panels are often looking for leadership potential as well as academic distinction.
Fortunately, the communication skills that the strongest interviewees invariably display can be acquired through specialist coaching. This highly practical course will help you develop a clear, authoritative and authentic interview style that allows the strength of your ideas to shine through.
By the end of this session you’ll be better able to:
- Present yourself, your work and your ideas in a compelling way
- Maintain your composure
- Engage the panel and win their trust
- Handle interview questions
After the course, you’ll be able to get access to a course summary, follow-up material and the VOX Academy – an online repository of written guidance, lively videos and other resources to help you extend your learning and take your communication skills to the next level.
Who can apply?
The workshop is for postdoctoral and early career researchers who will benefit from the training and who:
- Have been shortlisted for interview by a funding body
- Have submitted a grant application that has an interview as part of the selection process
- Intend to submit an application in the next twelve months
How to apply
To apply for the workshop email Jennifer Thomson setting out clearly the following information:
- Details of the funding scheme you have applied to or intend to apply to.
- Whether you have already submitted your application or been short-listed for interview, and the timescales for this.
- If you have not already submitted your application the proposed submission deadline and how far you have progressed with your application.
Places are limited and applications will be prioritized.
Deadline for applications is 12 noon on Monday 4th February 2019.
VOX Coaching is a communication-skills training company with a loyal clientele in the higher education, business, government and health sectors. Its coaches have worked with some 30 Universities, including Bristol, Edinburgh, Imperial, Manchester and UCL, as well as with leading international business schools. They have coached vice-chancellors, CEOs, speakers at the World Economic Forum, judges and MPs up to Cabinet Level. VOX coaches are experts in helping people to communicate in their own style - but with more skill and a dash of inspiration.