The alumni community is not just something to become involved with after you graduate. You are already in a position to benefit from our alumni’s experience and knowledge as a current student.
Don’t forget to look out for the Alumni Ident on our website and printed material showing you when alumni are involved in an event or project.
If you have other ways you would like to interact with MDS alumni, please let us know. We’re always happy to look into new projects.
Alumni Leadership Mentoring Programme
The Alumni Leadership Mentoring Programme (ALMP) is open to all penultimate year students entering their final year, plus fourth and fifth year medics and dentists, this scheme allows you to apply to specific mentors from across a range of career disciplines. You can view each mentor's profile and then decide which one you would like to apply to.
The 2014/15 mentors include:
Former ALMP mentee, Daisy Henesy (BMedSc Medical Science, 2014) talks about her experiences in the video below.
Guest lectures, careers advice and networking opportunities
- Dr Paul Arkell (MBChB, 2010) returned to the Medical School to present a topical open lecture on Ebola in October 2014.
- In February 2015 three Biomedical Materials Science alumni gave presentations to current students, charting their broad and varied career pathways from graduation to the present day.
- Our alumni are able to offer advice and guidance to fellow alumni and students on specific careers.
Funding of new teaching and learning facilities
Over the last few years alumni have funded many different projects ranging from multimillion pound building and refurbishments schemes to studentships and student societies.
- Medical School Foyer, Doug Ellis Hub and Barnes Library – These facilities were opened in 2012. Of the total cost of £2 million, £516,000 was donated by University of Birmingham alumni and friends.
- The Prosectorium was opened in 2008 costing £600,000, with one third being donated by alumni and friends.
- The Emergency Medicine Society
- Funding portable interactive whiteboards to capture Problem Based Learning Discussions
- Invited external speakers on intercalated BMedSc (Clinical Sciences) course for intercalated Medical Students
- Enhancing Disabilities Teaching for Dentistry
- Undergraduate Summer vacation studentships in Medical Research
- Improvements to the Student Services Centre, which provides an essential private space for students seeking welfare advice