Distinguished lecture: The future of healthcare in Birmingham: Rt. Hon. Jacqui Smith
- Leonard Deacon Lecture Theatre Medical School
- Medical and Dental Sciences
Register for this event
Attendance is CPD verifiable. Please email E.J.Malone@bham.ac.uk with any questions.
Rt. Hon. Jacqui Smith is the Chair of University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham Health Partners and Vice Chair of the Birmingham and Solihull Sustainability and Transformation Partnership Board. She is also Chair of the newly formed Sandwell Children’s Trust, a Trustee of the Kings Fund and Chair of West Midlands Charity, the Precious Trust and the Lunar Society.
Jacqui has worked in Jordan and Egypt on political development projects and is a frequent media commentator on Sky, the BBC and through her weekly podcast with LBC.
Following a teaching career, Jacqui was elected MP for Redditch between 1997 and 2010 and served as a Minister for 10 years in the Education, Health, Industry and Equality portfolios. Jacqui joined Cabinet as Chief Whip and was the UK’s first female Home Secretary.
Jacqui aims to instil an understanding of:
1) the societal issues that govern the provision of health care
2) the relationship between research and the provision of healthcare
3) structure to and provision of heath care in Birmingham
4) the drivers for the future and the way forward to better provision
5) and the political and policy context for healthcare development.
This lecture will be followed by the opportunity to meet Jacqui informally in the Chamberlain Atrium.