Taster day: discover Social Sciences at the University of Birmingham
- Friday 9 November 2018 (09:30-14:30)
We would like to invite your Year 12 students to a Taster Session at the University of Birmingham, giving them the opportunity to discover the breadth of Social Sciences research. You are able to choose from a series of workshops covering a range of exciting topics.
The topics that you can choose from include:
- Feeding the future- recognise the ways marketers use colours, words and other techniques to entice you to buy certain foods.
- Prisons in crisis- understand the structural, cultural and economic problems being faced by prisons in England and Wales.
- The facts on ‘fake news’- By drawing on examples of political outcomes, this session will offer top tips for how to filter news from sources to find useful information, how to decide the truth from competing claims, and how to guard yourself against news that is used to misinform.
- Responsible Business: do a world of good- Join this interactive workshop where you’ll explore the importance of people, planet and profit in understanding how organisations can make a positive impact on the world. This session on responsible business will help you identify how your positive values can literally do a world of good.
- Global citizens? Understand more about what makes people support international development organisations and the fight against global poverty and how do the images of developing countries that charities use in their fundraising appeals shape the public’s understanding of development?
Each session* is designed to be as interactive and collaborative as possible, between both the academic and students. The students will also be encouraged to provoke engaging and topical discussions. You are able to shape your own timetable for the day, choosing to take part in as many or as little sessions as preferred, as well as opting for a campus tour and Q&A with our current Social Science students.
This is a fantastic opportunity to stretch, challenge and inspire your students and we hope to welcome you and your students to campus in November.
*Lunch and campus tour will be provided
How to take part in the Taster Day
This session is for Year 12 students, if you are interested in attending please contact either Ceara Wason (email@example.com) or Hannah Bradley (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This event is part of the Festival of Social Science which runs from 3-10 November 2018. See what other events are taking place in the College of Social Sciences at the University of Birmingham.