As a leading international university, we welcome students and staff from around the world. They enrich our learning community by bringing a wider perspective to our work and our culture.
Their experiences contribute to the University’s efforts to ensure that all of our students graduate with the knowledge, skills and understanding they need to contribute to a global society.
Birmingham is making strides to increase its position as one of the world’s leading universities. We start from a strong base, as these figures demonstrate:
- Birmingham is 79th in the QS World University Rankings, cementing our position in the top 100 universities globally and placing us as 14th amongst UK universities.
- We are consistently top 100 in the Financial Times and Economist Business School world rankings.
- We currently have 5,000 students from over 150 countries among our student community.
- Of our academic staff, 34% are overseas nationals.
- Birmingham is one of the UK’s major participants in the Erasmus programme, which encourages student exchanges between leading European institutions.
- We are a founder member of Universitas 21, a global network of 27 research-led universities across 17 countries.