As an Official Partner of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, the University of Birmingham will be playing a key role in delivering an outstanding international sporting event that will focus the eyes of the world on our city, our region and our world-leading reputation for excellence.
Having signed the most comprehensive university partnership in the history of the Games, we are delighted to have this opportunity to showcase how we continue to be at forefront of innovation, making important things happen across the spectrum of humankind’s achievement and, crucially, changing the game!
A warm welcome
Our partnership with Birmingham 2022 highlights our already strong link with the Games, with six students and 18 alumni having taken part in the 2018 Games in Australia.
During the Games, running from 28 July to 8 August 2022, the University will be the main campus village hosting athletes, with the hockey and squash competitions taking place in our world-class sporting facilities.
We are looking forward to the Games highlighting the strong sense of pride that is felt among our students, staff, alumni and wider community as we make the most of the opportunities the event presents. We are a truly international community with more than 8,000 stafff, 38,000 students and over 300,000 alumni from more than 150 countries and all Commonwealth nations and territories.
Meet our game-changers
True grit marks our University’s game-changing sports stars
Our motto Per Ardua ad Alta
– ‘Through hard work to great heights’ is ingrained in our achievements and aspirations. A Global Top 100 University we deliver exceptional outcomes for both our staff and students. We also topped the Graduate High Fliers 2021 report, showing the high calibre and commitment of our graduating students.
Teaching and research
Showcasing our impressive teaching and research capabilities. The Games will have a global TV audience of 1.5 billion and will welcome more than a million spectators from 72 countries and nations.
Bringing fresh volunteering opportunities for staff and students, through which they can gain valuable experience working at a major global sports event.
The Queen's Baton Relay
The University of Birmingham is the official partner of the Queen’s Baton Relay – International Leg as the ceremonial baton travels through Commonwealth nations and territories in the run-up to the Games, providing opportunities to promote the city and the University around the world.
The place to be
- We break down barriers to support society and our community eg, establishing the University of Birmingham School.
- At the centre of the UK but globally connected, our ground-breaking campus in Dubai is testament to our ambition and focus.
- Building on our long history as a university that makes a meaningful difference in the world, our new Strategic Framework, setting out our ambitions to 2030, will place even greater emphasis on the societal impact of our research and education – civically, nationally and globally.
- We are still at the forefront of research, leading the field in many of the emerging disciplines of the 21st century, such as nanotechnology, gene therapy, robotics and the use of virtual reality in the study of archaeology.
Follow the action at #GameChangingBirmingham and #B2022
Professor Sir David Eastwood
Vice-Chancellor, University of Birmingham
“Our place as both a civic university and a global institution makes us well placed to partner the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games and we are looking forward to playing our part in this success story for our region.”
Also in 'Game-changing Birmingham'