Fees and expenses

You may claim for expenses you incur during the year and prior to submission of your report form. Fees for examining duties will only be paid once we receive your completed External Examiner's report form.

How we pay you

Fees and expenses are normally paid directly into personal bank accounts. We will only pay external examiner fees once the annual report has been received.


Payment to external examiners appointed to undergraduate provision (UG EEs) will be made through the University's Eploy payment system. The School Administrative Contact will contact UG EE's with further details regarding this process. Once registered with Eploy, the submission of the final report each year will act as a trigger for payment of the annual fee.

External examiners appointed only to postgraduate provision (PGT EEs) are deemed, by HMRC, to be self-employed and are therefore not paid via the University's Payroll. Upon submission of their annual postgraduate report form the School Administrative Contact will liaise with PGT EE's to arrange for payment for their services (this also applies to those who are paid separately for undergraduate and postgraduate programmes).

Expense claims

Expense claims should include details of the date and purpose of any visit(s). Claim forms should be sent to your School Administrative Contact at the University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT. If you don't know the name of your School Administrative Contact you can find out by emailing externalexaminers@contacts.bham.ac.uk.

Payment not received

If you do not receive payment within 4-6 weeks of submitting your report or making a claim, please contact your School Administrative Contact in the first instance.
If the problem is still unresolved, you can contact the Registry (Policy) at externalexaminers@contacts.bham.ac.uk.

Additional expense guidance specific to external examiners

Travel expenses

Travel expenses may be claimed against receipted expenditure as follows:

  • Examiners may claim actual expenditure on standard rail fares or other public transport, from their home to the University. There is a frequent, direct, train service from Birmingham New Street Railway Station to the University.
  • Examiners travelling from outside the United Kingdom to undertake external examining at the University may claim the cost of economy air travel. Any Examiner wishing to travel by air within the UK is asked first to contact the Head of School for the School/ Department to which they have been appointed as External Examiner to agree this expense in advance of any visit.
  • Claims for car usage will be met at the discretion of the School concerned and will normally only be permitted where public transport is unavailable or impractical, or where the mileage claim is cheaper than the cost of making the journey by public transport. Mileage rates can be found here: https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/finance/payroll/Expenses.aspx

Overnight stays

Wherever possible, visits will be arranged at a time to enable examiners travelling within the UK to make the return journey in one day. In most instances where an overnight stay is required, hotel accommodation will be arranged by the School, and the costs will be paid directly by the School. External Examiners are advised to contact the School if they wish to arrange their own accommodation.

Other expenses

The procedures outlined here are intended as a guide only, External Examiners are asked to negotiate expenditure levels beyond those indicated with the School concerned.