BRP and Police Checks

As an international student, you may need to collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card and register with the local police. Your visa will tell you whether this applies to you.

Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit

If you selected to collect your BRP card from the University, you will be called to an appointment with the International Student Team (IST) to collect it. You will be informed of your appointment when we have received your BRP card from the issuers, and have been able to take copies to help you complete My Right to Study.

If you opted to collect your BRP card from a local Post Office, you will need to follow any instructions sent to you by UK Visas and Immigration, and collect it from the address shown on your Home Office decision letter. Once you have collected it, you must upload copies to My Right to Study.

Police Registration

You may be required to register with the police following your arrival in the UK. Check the visa sticker (vignette) in your passport if you are unsure. The International Student Team provides information on when and where you can register.

International Student Team

The International Student Team provides advice and support to all international students at the University of Birmingham.

Welcome to the International Student Team