1. The organiser and promoter of the competition is The University of Birmingham of Edgbaston Birmingham B15 2TT (“the University”) acting through its Student Experience Projects Team.
2. The competition is open to all registered students of the University of Birmingham as at 1 October 2018 with the exception of any student who, or a member of whose immediate family, is connected with the administration of the competition.
3. There is no maximum number of entries which an entrant may apply to enter into the competition, but each entry must be submitted by a single entrant. In the event of an entry being submitted by multiple entrants, the entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the first named entrant.
4. Entries will be grouped into two categories: those from students at the University’s Edgbaston campus (the “Edgbaston entrants”) and those from students at the University’s Dubai and other campuses (the “Dubai entrants”).
5. By entering this competition the entrant agrees to abide by these terms and conditions.
6. Entrants apply to enter the competition by:
- emailing an image or photograph to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- uploading an image or photograph on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #uobcommunity
- The subject matter of the entry is flexible, but must reflect theme of ‘Community’. Entries must be in photographic format, with a resolution of not less than 300dpi. Entries may not depict individuals’ faces or contact information, or other data by which individuals may be identified or identifiable.
7. There is no entry fee, and no purchase necessary to apply to enter the competition. The closing date for the competition is 1 October 2018, and applications will not be accepted after that time.
8. The University will notify entrants by email or direct message on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter (as appropriate), by 5 October 2018, whether it has accepted their entries into the competition. The University shall be entitled to refuse to accept any entry at its sole discretion including (without limitation) anticipated, suspected or actual infringement of another person’s intellectual property rights, the University’s Legislation, and/or the promotions guidelines or other guidance, policies or rules of Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and the UAE Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (as appropriate).
9. Entrants whose entries are accepted into the competition will be required to provide to the University by email by 9 October 2018:
- their full name, email and postal addresses, campus (Edgbaston or Dubai), and student ID number;
- the title of their entry;
- a description, comprising not more than 50 words, of how their entry reflects the theme of the competition; and
- a copy of their entry in electronic format with a resolution of not less than 300dpi.
10. Entries accepted into the competition by the University will be considered by an independent judge or panel(s) of judges, to be nominated by the University at its sole discretion. The judge(s) will select a shortlist (of a number to be determined in each case by the University at its sole discretion) of entries submitted by each of the Edgbaston entrants and the Dubai entrants by reference to the following criteria:
- Content, composition and structure; and
- Relevance to the theme of the competition
11. The University will notify entrants, by email by 11 October 2018, whether their entry has been shortlisted. The University will send to each Edgbaston and Dubai entrant whose entry has been shortlisted by email by 11 October 2018 an invitation for them and one guest to attend a reception event to be held on the University’s Edgbaston and Dubai campuses respectively on 22 October 2018. The reception event will be video linked as between the two campuses. Entrants must inform the University by email by 16 October 2018 if they and their guest are unable to attend the reception event. The University shall not be obligated to make any contribution towards the cost of the entrants’ and guests’ travel to and from the reception event or any associated accommodation.
12. At the reception event, an independent judge or panel(s) of judges, to be nominated by the University at its sole discretion, will announce two winning entries: one from a Birmingham entrant and one from a Dubai entrant. The winning entrants will each be awarded a prize of a Go Pro Hero 6.
13. Prizes are non-assignable, and shall be handed to winning entrants at the reception event or posted by the University to the winning entrants by 30 November 2018 to the postal address provided by them at the point of entry into the competition. The University will have no further obligations in connection with the distribution of prizes in the event of (for example, but without limitation) prizes not reaching their intended destination.
14. The decision of the judge(s) on any matter associated with the competition is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
Intellectual property and data protection
15. The entrant must be the creator and owner of the content of their entries, and all intellectual property rights associated with their entries. It is the entrant’s responsibility to ensure that their entry does not infringe the rights, including but not limited to intellectual property rights, of another person, organisation, company group or entity.
16. All entrants must ensure that there are no corporate names or logos used in their entries; this includes anyone wearing and/or displaying corporate names or logos. Entrants are advised to remove or obscure labels/brand names from any commercial products used in their entries.
17. The entrant hereby grants to the University a non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free, worldwide, indefinite and irrevocable licence to link to, depict, reproduce and/or display the entry on its website, campuses, and any annual report or marketing or programme brochure published by it.
18. By applying to enter the competition the entrant agrees to their name and details being collected, stored and processed for the purposes of administering of the competition and publishing its results on the University’s website, and to being filmed at the reception event. Any personal information will only be used in accordance with data protection legislation in force from time to time.
19. Nothing in these terms and conditions excludes or limits the University’s liability in respect of personal injury or death caused by its negligence or fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation. Save as aforesaid, the University accepts no liability for any damage, loss, liability injury or disappointment suffered by the entrant in connection with their entry, or with any application to enter the competition not being received.
20. The Entrant agrees to indemnify the University against any loss, injury or damage suffered by it as a result of the linking to, depicting, reproducing and/or displaying of the entrant’s entry.
21. The University reserves the right to suspend or cancel the competition and/or revise these terms and conditions with or without prior notice without liability due to reasons outside its reasonable control including, without limitation:
- Anticipated, suspected or actual infringement of another person’s intellectual property rights; and
- Weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
The University’s decision as to whether or not a matter is within its reasonable control is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
22. The Entrant:
- confirms that their entry complies with the promotions guidelines and other guidance, policies and rules of Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and the UAE Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (as appropriate);
- acknowledges that Instagram, Facebook and Twitter are not sponsors of, or are otherwise involved in the administration of or endorse or are associated with, the competition, and releases YouTube from any and all liability related to the competition and their entry
The construction, validity and performance of these terms and conditions and the competition shall be governed by English Law. The courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to deal with any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these terms and conditions or the competition.