University of Birmingham and China

China Institute
The University of Birmingham has long-standing links with the People's Republic of China and is one of the most popular British universities for Chinese students choosing to study overseas. 
To find out more about our engagement with China and the research we conduct with a range of institutional partners, please visit our China Institute Website.

The student experience

Find out about student life and how to get involved in the student community to make the most of your time here.

Exchange Links

The University enjoys close relationships and has
exhange links with many Chinese Universities.

Entry requirements

The following information is for guidance only and should be used together with the University's general entrance requirements and any specific degree programme requirements. 

Please note: If you have taken exams which are from another country's national education system (eg the Arbitur from Germany or SAT and AP exams from the USA) you should consult the country specific section for that country for qualification equivalence information. If you are unsure about the acceptability of your qualifications for entry to Birmingham please contact us for further details.

Birmingham Foundation Academy

Many students who have studied in China have followed a 12 year education system. For admission onto an Undergraduate degree programme, the University of Birmingham requires all applicants to have studied for 13 years, and therefore you may need to take a foundation year before commencing your undergraduate programme. 

For entry into the Birmingham Foundation Academy, an overall grade of at least B or 80% in year 2 of Senior High School, including B or 80% in Mathematics, from the High School Graduation Examinations for the Engineering and Physical Science Pathway.

Please visit the Birmingham Foundation Academy website for more information on our foundation programmes. 


Holders of the High School Certificate/Senior Middle School Graduation and a suitable foundation programme, and holders of two/three year Diplomas, with a good performance (80% average or above) from a recognised institution, will be considered for entry to undergraduate programmes.


Holders of four-year Bachelor degrees awarded by prestigious universities in China, who have attained high grades in their studies (80% average or above), will be considered for postgraduate study at Diploma and Master’s level.

Candidates with three-year diplomas and substantial work experience at managerial level (five-seven years) may in some cases be considered for entry to postgraduate studies.

Holders of Master’s degrees will be considered for PhD study.

English Language

You may be required to provide evidence of your English ability. The most commonly accepted qualifications are the IELTS exam (minimum scores from 6.0-7.0) and TOEFL (minimum from 550-600 paper based, 213-250 computer based or 80-100 Internet based). Minimum requirements vary according to the chosen programme. 

See the English language page for specific programme requirements.

How to apply

How to apply video

Interested in applying? Find out more about how to apply for undergraduate and postgraduate study at the University of Birmingham by watching our video above!



Find out more about student accommodation. The University has a wide variety of accommodation to suit every need making Birmingham feel like a home away from home.


Scholarships for Students from China

To award outstanding achievement and to attract students of the highest calibre from around the world, the University of Birmingham offers a number of international scholarships.

Contact us

Alumni Activities in China

The University of Birmingham has many strong alumni groups all over the world. Alumni groups are an excellent way of keeping in contact with the University and with other graduates from Birmingham who live in your country. Some alumni groups meet on a regular basis for social and professional events.

If you would like to meet up with University staff when they are in your country or you would be willing to help promote the University at exhibitions, we would also like to hear from you. You can find out if there is an alumni group in your country or join our alumni mailing list on the Alumni website.  

Birmingham representatives in China

Our representatives in China can provide advice on studying in the UK and, more specifically, at the University of Birmingham. They will also be able to assist you with your application.

You can write to us at:

University of Birmingham (China Office)
Unit 1708 Garden Square 
968 Beijing Road W

上海市静安区北京西路968号嘉地中心办公楼1708单元 邮编200040

See our full list of representatives

British Council

The British Council has offices in many countries throughout the world which are able to provide you with advice about studying in the UK. Most offices also have an education library and Internet facilities where you can consult university material. The British Council can also provide advice about funding opportunities.

For more information visit


Meet us in China

The University has an office in Shanghai, which can give you  advice and guidance on studying in the UK or if you're interested in collaborating with us: 

Tel: 0086 21 3100 7900 


EventsRss FeedAtom Feed

There are no results that match your criteria.