This 3-day course will provide a comprehensive theoretical overview and hands-on training for the range of methods applied for sample preparation of complex biological samples for analysis applying LC-MS analysis. The course will be led by experts in the field to illustrate the different approaches that are available to analyse a range of biological samples and apply complementary liquid chromatography approaches to maximise the coverage of the metabolome. The course will be taught by experts in metabolomics who have experience of the analysis of microbial, plant and mammalian samples.
- Introduction to dealing with the complexity of biological samples using LC-MS.
- Overview of different sample collection, sample quenching and sample extraction methods.
- The challenges of working with cellular and tissue samples.
- Overview of different LC methods including HILIC and reversed phase methods.
- Hands-on sample preparation of blood, urine, cell and tissue samples. Monophasic and biphasic solvent extraction methods to target polar and non-polar metabolites.
- SPE and liquid-liquid sample clean-up methods
- Hands-on HILIC and reversed-phase liquid chromatography
- Hands-on LC-MS analysis for untargeted studies (maximum of 4 people)
- Overview of data analysis and metabolite identification
- Problem solving and tips and tricks session with the experts
Download the full programme here
Dates: 5-7 June 2017, 6-8 December 2017
NERC-funded bursaries: A limited number of NERC-funded bursaries are available for PhD students to attend the course. If you are a PhD student funded by NERC please select the bursary option when registering for the course. You will be notified by email if you have been awarded a bursary to attend the course. The bursary will cover the full cost of the course, accommodation (up to 3 nights, which we will book for you) and up to £100 towards travel costs.
ELIXIR-UK funded bursaries: A limited number of ELIXIR-UK funded bursaries are available for PhD students funded by either the BBSRC or MRC to attend the course. If you are a PhD student funded by the BBSRC or MRC please select the bursary option when registering for the course. You will be notified by email if you have been awarded a bursary to attend the course. The bursary will cover the course registration fee, you will need to pay for your own accommodation and travel costs.
Cost: Early bird £1040, standard £1155
Level: The course is aimed at PhD students and post-doctoral researchers who have been actively applying metabolomics for a minimum of 6 months. If individuals would like to take the course but do not have the recommended level of experience please contact the course administrator for advice.
Register here for the June course
Register here for the December course
For further information please contact David Epps. Please read the Birmingham Metabolomics Training Centre’s Conditions and Cancellation Policy prior to registering.