Dr Rosamund Moon MA, PhD, PGCE
My research and specialist teaching is primarily in the broad field of lexis and also lexicography.
I have a BA and MA from the University of Exeter, and a PhD from the University of Birmingham.
Before joining the Department as a lecturer in 1999, I worked for twenty years in publishing as a lexicographer. I was part of the original team on the Cobuild project (HarperCollins and the University of Birmingham), which pioneered the use of corpus data in dictionary-making, and I also worked for Oxford University Press on the Second Supplement to the Oxford English Dictionary, and on the Hector project, a collaboration between OUP and Digital Equipment Corporation.
My main research areas are lexis in general (including phraseology,collocation, and idioms), lexicography and dictionary-making, and figurative language – also discourse and ideological aspects of language, particularly from a lexical point of view: my approaches are generally corpus-based or text-based.
I was a member of the Executive Board for Euralex from 1996-2006, and Secretary-Treasurer from 2002-2006.
Amongst the conferences which I’ve helped organize at Birmingham are the 2002 meeting of the Poetics and Linguistics Association and the 2005, 2007, and 2011 Corpus Linguistics conferences. I have also been actively involved in the organization of the biennial congresses of Euralex, the European Association for Lexicography, held between 1998 and 2006.
- 2010 `What can a corpus tell us about lexis?', in M. McCarthy and A. O'Keeffe (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Corpus Linguistics, Routledge.
- 2010 ‘Words that spring to mind: idiom and allusion', in G.-M. de Schryver (ed.), A Way with Words: Recent Advances in Lexical Theory and Analysis. A Festschrift for Patrick Hanks. Menha Publishers.
- 2010 (with Carmen Caldas-Coulthard) ‘Curvy, hunky, kinky: using corpora as tools in critical analysis', Discourse and Society, 21/2, 1-35.
- 2009 (as editor) Words, Grammar, Text: Revisiting the Work of John Sinclair. Amsterdam: Benjamins. (Reprint of special issue of International Journal of Corpus Linguistics on the work of John Sinclair.)
- 2009 ‘The Cobuild Project', in A.P.Cowie (ed.), The Oxford History of English Lexicography, Oxford University Press
- 2008 ‘Conventionalized as -similes in English: a problem case’, International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, 13/1
- 2008 ‘Dictionaries and collocation’, in S. Granger et al (eds.) The Many Faces of Phraseology, John Benjamins
- 2008 ‘Sinclair, phraseology, and lexicography’, International Journal of Lexicography, 21/3
- 2007 ‘Phraseology in general monolingual dictionaries', in N. Norrick et al (eds.) International Handbook of Phraseology, Mouton de Gruyter
- 2007 ‘Sinclair, lexicography, and the Cobuild Project: the application of theory', International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, 12/2
- 2007 ‘Words, frequencies, and texts (particularly Conrad): a stratified approach', Journal of Literary Semantics, 34/1
- 2006, with G. M. Knowles, Introducing Metaphor, Routledge
- 2005 ‘Corpus analysis of idioms', in K. Brown et al (eds.) Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, 2nd ed, Elsevier
- 2005 ‘Dictionaries and metaphor, metaphor in dictionaries', in H. Gottlieb et al. (eds.) Symposium on Lexicography XI (Proceedings of the Eleventh International Symposium on Lexicography, 2002), Niemeyer
- 2005 with A.C. McDermott (eds). International Journal of Lexicography, 18/2. Special issue on Johnson's Dictionary of the English Language
- 2004 ‘Cawdrey's A Table Alphabeticall : a quantitative approach', in G. Williams and S. Vessier (eds.) Proceedings of the Eleventh EURALEX International Congress, EURALEX 2004, Université de Bretagne-Sud
- 2004 ‘On specifying metaphor: an idea and its implementation', International Journal of Lexicography, 17/2
- 2002 ‘Dictionaries: notions and expectations', in A. Braasch and C. Povlsen (eds.) Proceedings of the Tenth EURALEX International Congress, EURALEX 2002, University of Copenhagen, Center for Sprogteknologi
- 2001 ‘The distribution of idioms in English', SILTA (Studi Italiani di Linguistica Teorica e Applicata)
- 2000 ‘Lexical norms in spoken English' in R. M. Coulthard, J. Cotterill, and F. Rock (eds.) Proceedings of the International Association of Dialogue Analysts, 2000, Niemeyer
- 2000 ‘Lexicography and disambiguation: the size of the problem', Computers and the Humanities 34/1-2
- 2000 ‘Phraseology and early English dictionaries: the growth of tradition' in U. Heid et al. (eds.), Proceedings of the Ninth EURALEX International Congress, EURALEX 2000, Universität Stuttgart
- 1999 ‘Needles and haystacks: idioms and corpora' in Th. Herbst & K. Popp (eds.) The Perfect Learners' Dictionary(?), Niemeyer
- 1999 (appeared 2002) with L. Cignoni (Istituto and S. Coffey (Centro Linguistico Interdipartimentale, Università di Pisa), ‘Idioms and variation in Italian and English: two corpus-based studies', Languages in Contrast
- 1998 Fixed Expressions and Idioms in English: a Corpus-based Approach, (Oxford Studies in Lexicography and Lexicology), Oxford University Press
- 1998 ‘Frequencies and forms of phrasal lexemes in English' in A. P. Cowie (ed.) Phraseology: Theory, Analysis, and Applications, (Oxford Studies in Lexicography and Lexicology), Oxford University Press
- 1998 ‘On using spoken data in corpus lexicography' in Th. Fontenelle et al. (eds.) EURALEX ‘98 Proceedings, University of Liège