With over 25 years’ experience in archaeology Richard has worked on projects in Norway, Germany, the Czech Republic, Italy, directed many projects in the UK and more recently, directed projects in Libya, The United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Qatar. He has a proven track record in obtaining major grants for archaeological research projects, and has provided consultancy and advice for archaeological mitigation on major infrastructure projects in Europe and Asia.
In April 2005 he received an award from His Excellency Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, Minister of Education, Abu Dhabi, for his contribution to scientific research in the United Arab Emirates.
Over the past four years he has been responsible for the development of the Qatar Historic Environment Record (QNHER) and Remote sensing project. Within terrestrial areas the project is concerned with the location and characterization of sediment traps and archaeological sites for research and Cultural Heritage Management. Within the off shore areas of Qatar the project is using marine geophysics to map submerged landscapes and investigate the wider sequence of events that shaped the present-day Arabian Gulf. This has involved providing talks and advice for the UNESCO sub committe on underwater cultural heritage for the Gulf region
Richard has directed many significant archaeological research projects, including:
- 2008 to 2014. The Remote Sensing & Qatar National Historic Environment Record (QHNER) project (Co-Director with Faisal Al-Naimi, Head of Antiquities, Qatar Museums Authority), Qatar.
- 2009 Laser-scanning, 3D rendering and digital reconstruction of the replica of ‘The Jewel of Muscat’ 9th Century Arab Dhow, Qantab, Oman
- 2008- Roman excavations; Bath Lane, Leiceseter, UK.
- 2007- Multi-period Prehistoric; Whitemoor Haye Quarry, Staffordshire, UK.
- 2007- Roman excavations; Gorse Stacks, Chester, UK.
- 2006- Roman excavations; The Butts, Worcester, UK.
- 2005-6- Late Saxon & Medieval remains; St Mary’s Way, Nottingham, UK.
- 2005- Late Iron Age Site; Bishop’s Cleeve, Gloucestershire, UK.
- 2005- Bronze Age Site; Chessham, Buckinghamshire, UK.
- 2004- Early Post Medieval; Upper Well Street, Coventry UK
- 2003- Post Medieval; The Old Hall, Wolverhampton, UK.
- 2003- Late Iron Age enclosures at Oakham, Leicestershire
- 2002-Medieval tanning and retting complex at Brewood, Staffordshire, UK
- 2002 - 8 Late Saxon & Early Medieval Site; Longstanton, Cambridgeshire, UK.
- 2001- Bronze Age Site; Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, UK.
- 2001- Late Iron Age enclosure & early Romano-British Site; Arle Court, Gloucestershire, UK.
- 2001-Iron Age enclosures at Grange Hill Quarry, Gloucestershire, UK
- 1999- 2000 Neolithic -Post-Medieval; DBFO A55 Road Scheme, Anglesey, Wales, UK.
Richard has also provided support to the following projects in varying capacities:
- 2008-Hitite hillfort, Avkat, Eastern Turkey; Geophysicist
- 2007-Rub’ al-Khālī and Saadiyat Island, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.; Surveyor
- 2006-7-Helenistic & Roman City of Cyrene, Lybia; Geophysicist
- 2004-6-Kharimat Khor al Manahil, Rub’ al-Khālī, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.; Surveyor
- 2004-Marawah Island, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.; Excavation Supervisor
- 2002-Roman villas, Castel Portsiano, Rome, Italy; Geophysicist
- 2001-Neolithic ‘Ubaid’ settlement H3, Subiyah, Northern Kuwait; Excavation Supervisor
- 2000-Bronze Age structures, Iron Age burials, Al-Khor Island, Northern Qatar; Supervisor
- 1999-Neolithic and Bronze Age, Fourth Drove, Flag Fen, Cambridgeshire; UK; Site Director
- 1999-Late Iron Age – Roman remains, Silver Street, Buckden, Cambridgeshire, UK; Site Director
- 1999-Halstatt period Viereckschanze at Sondermoning Nußdorf, Bayern, Germany; As. Site Director
- 1998-Romano-British shrine at Orton’s Pasture, Rocester, UK; Site Director
- 1998-Roman military remains and vicus at the fort of Metchley, West Midlands, UK; Site Director
- 1997-9 Excavation of a Neolithic defensive site at the Rocca de Minerva, Lake Garda, Italy
- 1996-Measured survey of park land landscaped by ‘Capability Brown’, Birmingham UK; Surveyor
- 1995-9-Neolithic to Iron Age enclosures at Little Paxton Quarry, Cambridgeshire: Site Director
- 1995-Early Medieval remains at Long Causeway, Peterborough Site Director
- 1994-Bronze Age burial mounds at Lockington, Leicestershire: Supervisor
- 1994-Severn Valley ware Roman kilns, Madresfield, Worcester UK: Supervisor
- 1993-Medieval mint workshops, the Archbishop's Palace, Trondheim, Norway: Supervisor
- 1993-Roman Fosse Way, Princethorpe, Warwickshire: Supervisor
- 1992-Roman defences at Viroconium, Wroxeter, Shropshire; UK; Site Assistant
- 1992-3 Late Iron Age, Roman Holwick, Gloucestershire: Site Assistant
- 1991-Late Iron Age – Roman, A46, Leicestershire; UK; Site Assistant
- 1988-90-Roman remains at Causeway Lane, Leicester; UK; Site Assistant
- 1987-Roman remains at Shepton Mallet, Somerset: Site Assistant