Dr Julian Lonbay studied for his law degree in Scotland at Dundee University and undertook his doctoral studies in Fiesole at the European University Institute. He has been based at Birmingham Law School since 1979. Julian was a Professeur Invité at the Faculty of Law and Economic Science in the University of Limoges in France between 1981-2009, a visiting professor at the Law School of the University of Indiana, in Bloomington, Indiana, USA, 1985-1987 and was the Commerzbank Visiting Professor of Law at Bucerius Law School in Hamburg, Germany in 2003. He has lectured and given papers at universities in London, Stockholm, Wuhan, Maastricht, Brussels, Leuven, San Francisco, New York, Washington DC, Saint Louis, Strasbourg, Warsaw, Ankara, Seville, Valencia, Barcelona, Rio de Janeiro, Kuala Lumpur and in many other countries.
Law of the European Union, generally and in particular;
- the law relating to lawyers and other professionals;
- cross-border practice and the rules affecting such practice
- legal education
Current doctoral supervision
Dr Lonbay is currently supervising one doctoral student undertaking research in the following area:
- EU & WTO Law in the gas market, in relation to Gazprom
Dr Lonbay sits on the Learning and Teaching Committee and Research Board as well as School Committee. He also is on the School’s post graduate scholarship and PTA panel.
Julian is the UK representative on the Training Committee of the Council of the Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE) (since 2001), which he chaired from 2003-2010. He is a member of the Internaional Relation Council of the Union of Turkish Bars and a member of the governing Council of their EU Law centre. Julian is a past president of the European Law Faculties Association (ELFA) and was member of the Legal Education Council of PILNET. He has been on the Advisory Board of the UK Centre for Legal Education (UKCLE), the Society of Legal Scholars (SLS) Standing Education Committee, and acted as Treasurer for British Association of Comparative Law (BACL) for many years. He is an elected Associate member of the International Association of Comparative Law and the International Association of Procedural Law.
- Webmaster since 1996 Website on the training and mobility of Lawyers in the EU. http://Elixir.bham.ac.uk
- Also initiator of and webmaster for the European Law Faculties Association (ELFA) until 2003
- I was the Co‑Editor of European Rapporteur published regularly by Edge & Ellison, Solicitors (1989‑1990).
- Editor: European Journal of Legal Education
- Editorial Board: Annuaire de droit européen
http://ssrn.com/author=271936 (SSRN Webpage)
http://bham.academia.edu/JulianLonbay (Academia webpage)