You can pursue a large range of Majors at Birmingham.
Below are the typical Majors available, but it should be noted that your choice of Major may be subject to restrictions on numbers and to any specific entry requirements which might apply.
Arts and Law Majors
- African Studies
- American & Canadian Studies
- Ancient History
- Classical Literature & Civilisation
- English Language
- English Literature
- Hispanic Studies
- History of Art
- Biochemistry (requires A level/ HL Chemistry)
- Biology (requires A level/ HL Biology)
- Chemistry (requires A level/ HL Chemistry)
- Computer science (requires A level/HL Mathematics or Computing, if you do not have Mathematics at A level you must have at least grade B at GCSE).
- Earth Sciences (Requires at least one A level in one of: Biology/Human Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Electronics, Environmental Studies, Geography, Geology, Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Statistics).
- Mathematics (requires A level/ HL 5 or SL 7 Mathematics)
- Physics (requires A level/ HL Physics and A level/ HL 5 or SL 7 Mathematics or Pure Mathematics with at least one with a grade A* if three A levels in total, or both at grade A if four A levels in total).
- Psychology (preferably at least A-level grade A in one of: Biology/Human Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics or Psychology).
- Sport and Exercise Sciences (requires at least one A level in one of: Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, Human Biology, Maths, Physics, Psychology, Sport Studies/Physical Education or Statistics
Social Sciences Majors
Study Languages from the Centre for Modern Languages
If you are interested in doing a language as part of the degree (but not necessarily as Major) then you have the additional option of taking languages from the Centre for Modern Languages either for credit (called a Module Outside the Main Discipline) or as an extracurricular Open Access Course.
Module Outside the Main Discipline timeslots differ from the regular language timeslots. For the Open Access variant there are a wide variety of possible class time slots, including evenings, to facilitate busy schedules and preferred working times.