I have recently published (October 2013) an edited volume of language-critical pieces in the Frankfurter Zeitung between 1933 and its closure in 1943. This is the principal output resulting from the Alfried Krupp Senior Fellowship in Greifswald, and also supported by a grant from the British Academy. The book comprises some eighty articles from the Frankfurter Zeitung, an academic apparatus, and an 18,000-word Introduction setting out the situation of the editorial team and their use of a discourse on language as a proxy discourse on National Socialism and the regime:
- "Der Mensch hat das Wort": Der Sprachdiskurs in der Frankfurter Zeitung 1933-1943. Mit einem Geleitwort von Günther Gillessen. Walter de Gruyter, xvi + 277 pp. Berlin/ Boston 2013. ISBN 978-3-11-031486-1. (Available as an E-Book: 978-3-11-031513-4.)
I am currently working on two related monograph projects (in English) on oppositional public discourses in the 'Third Reich':
- Benjamin/ Sternberger: A Case Study in the Fractured Discourse of German Exile 1933—1945.
- The German Language and National Socialism: The Inner Exile Experience.
The first of these books, started during the Alfried Krupp Fellowship, offers the first detailed reading of Dolf Sternberger's book PANORAMA ODER ANSICHTEN VOM 19. JAHRHUNDERT (Hamburg, 1938) in the context of a morphology of exile which views the discourses of inner and territorial exile as related 'dialects'. The second researches the 'inner exile' experience of language change, from a position of powerlessness, under the impact of the hegemonic National Socialist discourse, analyzing the efficacy, limits, and influence of this oppositional perception of 'tainted language'. Other recent publications include an article on the Sternberger/ Benjamin dispute which sets out the remit and methodology of the planned monograph:
- Dolf Sternberger’s Panorama: Approaches to a work of (inner) exile in the National Socialist period’, Modern Language Review 108/1, 180-201.
and an appreciation of the language-critical publications of Gerhard Storz during the 'Third Reich':
- Gegen „volkhafte“ Sprachauffassungen resistent: Der Sprachkritiker Gerhard Storz. In: Hanns-Werner Heister/ Bernhard Spies (eds.), Mimesis, Mimikry, Simulatio. Festschrift für Erwin Rotermund zum 80. Geburtstag. Weidler Buchverlag, Berlin (ISBN 978-3-89693-598-4,) pp. 47—59.