French Studies Year Abroad

One of the most exciting elements of any degree in Modern Languages is the opportunity to spend your third year abroad, perfecting your language skills, developing a thorough appreciation of another culture and acquiring all manner of transferable skills.

Most students taking French spend time in France, Belgium, or Quebec, although some of our students have spent time as far afield as the French-speaking islands of the Caribbean. You will spend your time studying at a university, working at a school as an English Language Assistant or undertaking a work placement.

If you are studying another language alongside French, you will split your Year Abroad between different countries.

Studying at a University

Studying at one of our partner institutions in a country where your target language is widely spoken is the most popular choice for the Year Abroad. Students staying within the European Union will be eligible to take part in the Erasmus scheme.  This means that you will be eligible for a bursary (usually about £2000 for the year), and tutorial support.

We have many partner institutions (each with between 2 and 8 places) including:





Interactive map

These are the French universities with which the department has developed links:

Teaching English

Some students prefer to spend their year abroad as a teaching assistant in a school. This is a salaried placement of between seven and nine months at a school in a French-speaking country. This scheme is supported by the British Council.

Work Placements

Another option is to spend your year abroad completing a work placement. Many students use this year to gain valuable experience in an industry that they hope to enter post-graduation. You will need to be accepted by a company and have your place approved by the year abroad tutor. Examples of recent placements by students studying French include ones at a PR agency; an IT start-up company; an online fashion retailer and a translation agency.