The optional modules listed on the website for this programme may unfortunately occasionally be subject to change. As you will appreciate key members of staff may leave the University and this necessitates a review of the modules that are offered. Where the module is no longer available we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.
Your first year involves studying introductory modules that provide you with the opportunity to explore a range of topics. Students will take all four compulsory modules, a Widening Horizons module in another School and any 20 credits from the optional modules available.
- Introduction to the Study of Religion (20)
- Introduction to Islam (20)
- Introduction to the History of Christianity (20)
- Introduction to Biblical Studies (20)
- Widening Horizons module (20)
- Defining Jews, Jewishness and Judaism(s) (10)
- Introduction to the Study of the Holocaust (10)
- Themes in Christian Theology (20)
In your second year, you will be able to go into much greater depth and pursue the topics and questions that interest and inspire you. You will also be provided with a structured framework for gaining professional skills in presentation and teamwork. In addition you will identify an appropriate dissertation area, research question and supervisor as well as completing the initial planning and research for your final-year dissertation.
You will have a wide choice of optional modules and you will also undertake a two-week placement in a school, charity or other situation in the UK or abroad.
You will take two compulsory modules and any additional 80 credits from the optional modules available. The range of modules on offer may differ a little from year to year, but the following are currently available. There is also the possibility to study abroad in the second semester of your second year.
- Dissertation Preparation (20)
- Placement (20)
- Auschwitz in History and Memory (20)
- Biblical Hebrew Language (20)
- Buddhism (10)
- Islam and the West (10)
- New Testament Greek (20)
- Paradigms of Christian Belief (20)
- Religion and the Arts (10)
- Religion in Contemporary Society (20)
- Sikhism (10)
- Special Study (20)
- Theological Ethics (20)
- Use and Interpretation of the Bible (20)
- Women in Islam (10)
In your final year, you will be able to specialise and engage in your own independent study by choosing a dissertation; this will be a major piece of work for which you identify your own topic and carry out research with a supervisor to help produce a 6,000 or 12,000 word essay.
You have the option to take a dissertation, short dissertation or a placement-based dissertation and choose from the optional modules available to attain 120 credits for the year.
- Dissertation (40) or
- 6,000-word Dissertation (20) or
- Placement-Based Dissertation (40)
- Bible and Sacred Space (20)
- Islamic Philosophy (10)
- Jewish Religious Responses to the Holocaust (20)
- Living Theology (10)
- Politics in the Name of God (20)
- Queer Bibles and Theologies (10)
- Radical Islam and Islam Radicalising (10)
- Special Study (20)
- Thealogy: Transgressive Travels with the Goddess (20)
- World Christianities (20)
Theology and Religion with a year abroad
Subject to satisfactory performance over your first two years, you may have the option of spending your third year studying Theology and Religion at an overseas university. You will then come back to Birmingham for your fourth and final year.