To gain access to the Cadbury Research Library, all researchers need to register for a readers card on their first visit. Each time you visit, you will need to produce your Cadbury Research Library readers card. This card is specific to the Cadbury Research Library and cannot be used to access the University Library or any other University facilities.
Registering for a card
On your first visit please allow about 5 minutes to complete the process of registration with a member of our staff. You will be asked to complete a registration form and agree to abide by the regulations governing use of Special Collections material.
Please bring with you a form of official identification* showing your name, printed address and signature e.g. a driving license. If you do not have a driving licence please bring something with your name and signature on it (e.g. passport, cash card, credit card) as well as something with your address printed on it, such as a recent bank statement, utilities bill, medical card, council tax demand, or social security book.
* If you are a student or staff member at the University of Birmingham, your university ID card will be sufficient proof of identification.
Cadbury Research Library readers card are valid for 3 years. When your ticket expires you will need to re-register for a new card by bringing in the required ID.
If you forget your ID
Unfortunately, if you do not have acceptable ID with you then we will be unable to issue you with a Cadbury Research Library readers card and you will not be able to access the rare books and archives.
List of acceptable proofs of ID
For both address and signature:
For address only:
- Medical Card (with address)
- Bank statement
- Household bills
- Official letter
- Building Society Passbook
- Post Office Savings Book
- Vehicle Registration Documents
- Foreign Passports if they have address
- Official ID cards (with indication as to how you may be contacted and address)
- Correspondence with Cadbury Research Library: Special Collections
For signature only:
- Credit card Debit card
- Cheque guarantee card
- National Insurance card Passport
N.B. You need to bring proof of both address and signature.