The SBFT Katherine Whitaker Bequest Postgraduate Grant
- Level of study
- Doctoral research, Postgraduate research masters, Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Drama and Theatre Arts, History, Modern Languages and Cultures, Philosophy, Theology and Religion, Medicine and Medical Sciences
- China, UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- None. Open all year.
The trustees of the Sino-British Fellowship Trust have decided that the Katherine Whitaker Bequest should be used to fund an annual grant or grants for scholars pursuing studies in the fields relevant to the expertise of Dr Whitaker.
Dr Katherine Lai Po Kan Whitaker (1912-2003) taught Classical Chinese and Cantonese language at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, and was for many years the only Chinese woman to hold senior rank in British academic sinology. She died in April 2003, leaving a bequest to the Sino-British Fellowship Trust (SBFT).
Value of Award
The total grant each year will not exceed £7,000 and will be awarded in varying amounts, depending on applications received.
Candidates must be:
- Citizens of the United Kingdom or China.
- Over 27 years of age.
- Pursuing postgraduate studies.
- Conduct their reserach in one of the relevant fields:
- Chinese Medicine
- Tibetan Buddhism
- Chinese Language (Philology, Drama & Poetry, History & Literature)
How to Apply
Full details of the application process can be found on the Great Britain China Centre website.