The Kishore Shah Scholarship
- Level of study
- Any Undergraduate
- Subject area
- Medicine and Medical Sciences
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- To be confirmed
This donation, made by Dr Kishore Shah, will provide a scholarship of £3,000 per annum for the selected scholar for the duration of their MBChB degree. Dr Shah is a retired consultant paediatric radiologist, previously working at Birmingham Children's Hospital. He graduated from Birmingham Medical School in 1964. The scholarship is awarded after an application and interview process to students meeting the scholarship criteria. The student will be invited to provide updates on their experience on the MBChB programme to the donor and may be invited to voluntarily participate in activities with the Development and Alumni Development Team.
Value of Award
£3,000 per year of study
Students must meet the following criteria:
- Year 1 MBChB student
- Home student (classified as 'Home for Fees' at the programme start date)
- Household income - below the threshold used by the University of Birmingham to identify students with the most financial need and eligiblity for the Chamberlain Award in their year of entry
- Contextual School (identified using the criteria described on the MBChB admissions webpage for identifying contextual applicants)
- Other contextual criteria (e.g. previous Free School Meals eligibility and/or home postcode may be used in selection for the scholarship)
How to Apply
In October/November each year the scholarship is advertised on the MBChB Student Hub Canvas pages under Student Recognition, Prizes and Funding - Available Funding - Kishore Shah Scholarship.
Application involves providing information to confirm eligibility against the criteria for the scholarship and answering two free text questions which are schored by the Kishore Shah Scholarship panel comprised of members of the College of Medical and Dental Sciences, Careers Network and Development and Alumni Relationship Staff and a representative of the Sir Arthur Thompson Trust.
Shortlisted applicants are then invited to submit their response to three video interview questions which are also scored by the Kishore Shah Scholarship panel.
Birmingham Medical School