This introductory module is designed to help students to review and refresh their knowledge of the basic biology of micro organisms ensuring a strong foundation for subsequent modules. The skills element is designed to build confidence in critical reading of the scientific literature, academic writing, handling micro organisms in the laboratory and data handling.
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the key structural features and biology of bacteria, fungi and viruses.
- Demonstrate an understanding of genetics of bacteria, fungi and viruses.
- Read a primary research paper and write a “News and Views” style summary
- Describe subject knowledge in their own words in an appropriate academic style and demonstrate the origin of their ideas by appropriate referencing
- Carry out practical techniques required for the culture and study of micro-organisms.
- Carry out dilution calculations using molarities or cell numbers, present data in appropriate formats, and use appropriate statistical analyses.
Satisfactory record of experiments in Laboratory Note Book (5%)
Data handling and interpretation test (50%)
News and Views Article (45%)