Found in Translation
- Waseda University
- Saturday 17 September (00:00) - Monday 19 September 2022 (23:59)
Call for Papers
- Waseda University, Tokyo
- In collaboration with The Shakespeare Institute, University of Birmingham
This conference, jointly organized by The Shakespeare Institute, University of Birmingham (Stratford-upon-Avon) and Waseda University (Tokyo), and funded by the Daiwa Foundation, invites academics and practitioners to share and discuss innovative ways in which translation can contribute to Shakespearean scholarship and performance. Instead of focusing on the difficulties and technicalities of translating Shakespeare into a specific language, the conference aims to create a dialogue between translation studies and other areas of Shakespeare studies. Topics may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Translation as a tool for literary interpretation
- Interpreting Shakespeare adaptations through theories of translation
- Translation as a door to new performance possibilities
- The role of translation in reception studies
- The connection between editorial practices and translation
- How translation is affected by, or might contribute to, authorship attribution studies
- The role of translation in multi-media archives of global Shakespeare performances.
* Please note that the conference will take place in Tokyo and may be postponed and/or switched to an online or hybrid format should international travel become difficult.
We welcome proposals for 20-minute papers from PhD students, early career researchers, and established scholars from all disciplines. Please submit abstracts through this form by noon (JST) on 4 June 2022. The results of the selection will be sent out by 1 July 2022. Proposals should include 1) the name of the author, affiliation, and email address, 2) a short biographical note of up to 150 words, 3) the title of the proposed paper, and 4) a 400-to-500-word abstract. Selected papers will be organized into panels and there will be a Q&A session at the end of each panel.
Any enquiries to be addressed through this form.