The School of Engineering and Teaching Learning Centre is responsible for conducting Engineering Education Research in the School of Engineering.
The centre's main objectives are to:
- Conduct Engineering Education research through academic-led and PhD projects (see below for opportunities)
- Grow teaching capability and capacity in engineering academics through encouraging membership of progression through relevant bodies, rewarding innovation and highlighting best practice.
- Strengthen links to external engineering education networks by participation in them.
- Establish strategic partnerships with other teaching and learning centres globally.
- Disseminate best engineering education practice throughout the school through regular events.
- Enrich students virtual learning experience through development of staff digital literacy
- Improve school teaching processes including module review and teaching observation.
- Cultivate Teaching-Focussed staff expertise in best-practice engineering education
- Improve graduate employability by instilling a culture of reflective learning by students, against an evolving and maintained set of skills informed by best practice
- Initiate Research-led teaching by contributing to research grant proposals via work packages which address the potential for curriculum change initiatives.
- Joint project with University of Nottingham Project on Engineering Assessment. Contact: Professor Kamel Hawwash
- The Birmingham Engineer: Evolving skill sets of Engineering. Contact: Dr Neil Cooke
- Integrated Design Modules: Contact: Dr Neil Cooke
Enquires for current projects in technology enhanced learning.
Cooke, N.J; Robbins P.T.; Lodge J.M.; Shannon I.; Hawwash K.I.M; "Recommendations for Electronic Laboratory Notebooks in Undergraduate Engineering Faculty: A student-led case study." 45th Annual European Engineering Society (SEFI) 2017.
Cooke, N. J., Robbins, P. T., Grove, M. J., Quigley, S. F., Binner, J., & Green, J. R. "The Collaborative Teaching Laboratory." 44th Annual European Engineering Society (SEFI) 2016.