Our research in the Department covers a broad range of themes and topics, from medieval and Renaissance art and architecture to contemporary global art. Our work is multifaceted, and engages with historical issues as well as theoretical questions.
The principal areas of current interest are:
- Art, gender and sexuality
- Imperialism, nationalism, and the decolonization of art institutions
- Museums, curating and the politics of exhibitions
- Antiquity and the classical tradition in the visual arts
- Contemporary art and cultural studies
Recent and current research projects include:
The Department also publishes Midlands Art Papers (published in September 2017) and the Journal of Art Historiography.