1914-1914 – During the First World War, teaching became concentrated on the Edgbaston campus. The Edgbaston campus buildings were used by the Royal Army Medical Corps as the First Southern General Hospital. Beginning with 520 beds on mobilisation, it expanded to 1,520 and eventually in 1918. With outlying sections and affiliated hospitals, such as Dudley Road, it offered the War Office 3,264 beds, in which a total of 130,569 patients were treated during the conflict.
1938 – The Queen Elizabeth Hospital (previously called the Central Hospital) was opened on Edgbaston campus after years of planning and efforts of Dr Stanley Barnes. It was one of the last great achievements of the voluntary hospital system, as it provided the people of Birmingham with an alternative to the medical services of the Poor Law, and before the much-welcomed creation of the National Health Service (NHS) in 1948.
1940 – The opening of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital meant Queen’s Hospital was passed out and closed. However, the building soon re-opened in 1941 as the Birmingham Accidental Hospital, the last voluntary hospital opened before the introduction of the NHS. The pre-clinical departments led by some of the greatest figures of their day was enlarged and became major internationally-recognised centres of research.
1946 – There was a recognised need for full-time clinical professors to be appointed in Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and Paediatric and Child Health with Professorial Units and facilities for laboratory research. This brought a great distinction to the medical school and held important professional roles within their respective fields, nationally and internationally.
1948 – With the creation of the NHS, the management of all the city’s hospitals came under the control of the Birmingham Regional Hospitals Board, with the exception of teaching hospitals or the United Birmingham Hospitals, as they became known. This also meant many hospitals in the region were at the disposal of the medical school for clinical postgraduate study and recently qualified young doctors by a progressive Regional Board. Additionally, this was the prerequisite for the approval or a compulsory residential year between qualification and full registration by students.
1959-1982 – During the next few decade, there were major departmental and structural developments to the faculty:
- 1969 – The Barnes Library
- 1965 – The Dental School and Hospital was transferred to a new building adjacent to the General Hospital
- 1969 – The medical school’s west wing, which provided a large lecture theatre to accommodate all the preclinical students, and accommodation for the Department of Pathological Studies
- 1979 – The Department of Haematology was opened
- 1982 – The Wolfson Centre and the Clinical Teaching Block at the General Hospital
1966 – There was a dramatic increase of students over the years with the introduction of the Bachelor of Medical Science degree, both for three years and intercalated, along with a number of new postgraduate courses. As such, the title of the faculty was changed to the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry to recognise the growing size and importance of the Dental School.
1980s – Researchers in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry took on board the ethnic diversity of Birmingham and the West Midlands, which contributed to better understanding of health care of Afro-Caribbean and Asian populations.
1982 – The opening of the Institute for Occupational Health was one of the greatest milestones in the history of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, making the University of Birmingham a leader in this field in the country and internationally.
1997 – The Schools of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences were created, and still kept their links through teaching and research.