Topics covered may include:
- Revision of Hypothesis testing, Distributions, parametric assumptions & Z-scores
- Testing for parametric assumptions
- Test of difference
- Equivalent Non-parametric test of difference: Wilcoxon, Mann-Whitney & One Way ANOVA (Kruskal-Wallis)
- Computer practicals
- Using SPSS to support statistical analysis
- Practical psychology
- Two simple psychological studies: How to write up an experimental design
- Research Participation.
By the end of the module you should be able to:
- Use SPSS to perform simple statistical analyses
- Understand and apply the concepts and methods behind hypothesis testing in the context of experimental design
- Know when and how to use Chi-square, t-tests and their non-parametric equivalent tests
- Conduct psychological studies involving simple statistical analyses
- Present the results of psychological research in written report format.
As part of the module, students are also required to participate in research (or, at their discretion, complete an alternative activity instead).