The Kindertransport in History and Memory
- 58 Edgbaston Park Road, B15 2RT., Nettlefold Room, Nicolson Building
- Wednesday 4 December 2013 (14:00-18:00)
Registering for this event: Attendance is free, but registration is essential.
This half-day workshop aims to explore the theoretical and practical questions raised by academic study and representation(s) of the Kindertransport, via a dialogue between academics and practitioners with a survivor.
- Mrs Lia Lesser (survivor)
- Dr Marissia Fragkou (Drama, Canterbury Christchurch University)
- Dr Andrea Hammel (German Studies, University of Aberystwyth)
- James Griffiths, Director of Learning (The Holocaust Centre, Beth Shalom, Nottinghamshire).
14:00 Welcome and Introduction
14:15 Memories of the Kindertransport: Mrs Lia Lesser will talk about her experiences as a child coming to Britain from Prague on one of the transports organized by Nicholas Winton
15:15 Current research:
- Andrea Hammel - 'Controversies in recent research on the Kindertransport';
- Marissia Fragkou - 'Precarious children and youth on the British stage'.
17:00 An educational and museological perspective:
James Griffiths will reflect on the 'The Journey' (a multimedia exhibition based on the experience of the Kindertransport, and unique in being directed at infant-school children) and the educational programmes surrounding it.
17:45 Concluding reflections