I have a special interest in curriculum development and materials writing across BIA programmes. I have written numerous in-house teaching and learning materials for the BIA, including presessional course materials and the materials for the Advanced Academic Skills and Pre-Masters modules for the Foundation Programme. I have been instrumental in the creation of high quality online teaching and learning resources, including the 15-Week Online Presessional English Course, the Pre-Arrival Academic English Course and a webinar series to support students who may need to interrupt their studies for short periods. My current focus is on the development of materials to support insessional English programmes, particularly the College Embedded suite of materials, enrichment materials and Departmental classes.
I contribute regularly at internal and external conferences in EAP and teacher training and development, with a particular focus on learning and technology.
Selected Conference Papers
November 2017: Laying the Foundations - Intercultural Exploration as a Bridge to Academic Skills. BALEAP PIM University of Nottingham
July 2017: Engaging Foundation Learners with a Student-led Magazine, Inform, University of Reading
May 2017: ESAP for Foundation Science & Engineering. Ruhr University, Bochum
April 2017: A Student Magazine project: A Key for Many Doors. BALEAP Conference, University of Bristol (Joint Presentation with Sean Gardner)
February 2017: BALEAP Webinar Foundation Teaching: Rising to the Challenge at the BIA
April 2015: Getting them on board – effective ways to use online discussions. BALEAP Conference, University of Leicester
January 2015: Using online discussions in Canvas effectively. LLAS E-Learning Symposium, University of Southampton
November 2013: Peer review – making it work. BALEAP PIM, Oxford-Brookes University (Plenary Speaker)
July 2011: All Aboard! Being smart without a Smartboard. NATECLA National Conference, University of Warwick
November 2009: Smarten up! Use of the IWB in language teaching NATECLA Teacher Development Conference, Walsall
March 2003: Effective team teaching in secondary schools – practical suggestions. British Council National Conference, Acireale, Italy
July 2017: Continuing Presessional Development – the Role of CPD. Share & Celebrate, BIA
July 2014: Using discussion boards in Canvas. Teaching and Learning Conference, University of Birmingham
January 2014: Using Mailvu videomail to promote student interaction, E-Learning Practitioners’ Forum, University of Birmingham
June 2013: Moving beyond PowerPoint - An experience of the BFA Foundation English Module Teaching and Learning Conference, University of Birmingham (Joint presentation with Hayley Maxwell)
- Maxwell, H., Mottura, A., Nickalls, R., Sjoberg, J. & Nightingale, K. (2014). Developing E- and Blended Learning Approaches for International Students. Education in Practice, 1(1): 12-15.
- McPake, N. and Sjoberg, J. (joint authors) (2012). Developing resources for community cohesion: a report on a small-scale InstituteforLearning-funded action research project, Language Issues, 23(1): 66-78.
- Sjoberg, J. (2004). Teaching in Tandem, English Teaching Professional, 32, May 2004: 13-14 (Also published as ‘Impress your students with a class double act’, The Guardian Weekly, 171(1), June 25-July 1, 2004:4)
- Sjoberg, J. (2004). The Checking Homework Challenge [Online]. Winning entry of ‘The OnestopEnglish Methodology Challenge’, November 2004.
- Sjoberg, J. (2006). Outside the classroom - Join the club! Part 3, English Teaching Professional, 46, Sept 2006: 53-55.
- Sjoberg, J. (2006) Outside the classroom - Join the club! Part 2, English Teaching Professional, 45, July 2006: 49-51.
- Sjoberg, J. (2006). Outside the classroom - Join the club! Part 1, English Teaching Professional, 44, May 2006: 49-51.
- Sjoberg, J. (2013). Talking Teaching. Spotlight in the Classroom, 9: 5.
- Sjoberg, J. (2017) Engaging Foundation Learners with a Student-led Magazine – the Experience of the BIA, University of Birmingham. Inform (A Journal For International Foundation Programme Professionals): Issue 17, 20-22, Available at https://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/inform/InForm_Issue17.pdf [Accessed 28/07/20]
- Sjoberg,J. (2018) Review of Paltridge, B. & Starfield, S. (2016) Getting Published in Academic Journals – Navigating the Publication Process [Online] Available at https://www.baleap.org/resources/book-reviews/paltridge-starfield-2016-getting-published [Accessed 28/07/20]
- Sjoberg, J. (2020) Start NOW – Perfect LATER – Moving into Digital Teaching and Learning, [Blog] HEFi Big Conversation, University of Birmingham. Available at https://blog.bham.ac.uk/bigconversation/2020/03/30/start-now-perfect-later-moving-into-digital-teaching-and-learning-by-jane-sjoberg/ [Accessed 28/07/20]
- NigroL., Larocca L., Celesia M., Montineri A., Sjoberg J., Caltabiano E., Fatuzzo F. & The Unit Operators Group. (2006). Prevalence of HIV and Other Sexually Transmitted Diseases among Colombian and Dominican Female Sex Workers Living in Catania, Eastern Sicily. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 8(4): 319-323.