Josephine mostly known as Josette Camilleri was born in Malta and has trained as a dental surgeon at the University of Malta. She undertook post-graduate studies under the supervision of the late Prof Thomas Pitt Ford at King’s College London after securing a commonwealth scholarship. She obtained a PhD degree in 2007.
Josette has worked at the NHS in Malta from 1999-2007 after which she undertook an academic career as a resident academic first at the Department of Building and Civil Engineering, Faculty for the Built Environment, University of Malta and then at the Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dental Surgery, University of Malta, Malta.
Josette has extensive experience in both teaching and research and has worked in collaboration with various institutions both in Malta and internationally. She is also an international lecturer and examiner and has been a reviewer for grants in Hong Kong and Saudi Arabia.
Josette is the Editor of the book entitled “Mineral Trioxide Aggregate in Dentistry: From Preparation to Application” published by Springer in 2014 and has written various book chapters. She has also patented two endodontic materials.
She is a fellow of
- Academy of Dental Materials
- Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
- International College of Dentists
- Higher Education Academy
Furthermore she is a Committee Member of the following COST networks
- MP1301: New generation biomimetic and customized implants for bone engineering (NEWGEN)
- TD 1305: Improved Protection of Medical Devices Against Infection (IPROMEDAI)
- CA15114: Anti-MIcrobial Coating Innovations to prevent infectious diseases-
- CA16119: In vitro 3-D total cell guidance and fitness
- CA15216: European Network of Bioadhesion Expertise: Fundamental Knowledge to In-spire Advanced Bonding Technologies
She also heads the focus group on antimicrobial properties of dental devices in TD 1305: Improved Protection of Medical Devices Against Infection (IPROMEDAI) and is a core group member in MP1301: New generation biomimetic and customized implants for bone engineering (NEWGEN).