Although I’ll consider proposals for general modernism-related theses, I’m most interested in supervising MA and PhD candidates in my core research area: i.e. the life, work, and controversies of the painter and writer Wyndham Lewis, 1882-1957. I’m also very keen to consider projects on material related to the work of George Orwell and Aldous Huxley.
Current PhD students include:
- William Bateman, ‘Landscape, Exile, and Form in the Collected Works of D. H. Lawrence’
- Daniel Buckingham, ‘Constructing the Middlebrow Satirist’
- Sophia Day, ‘Eliot and Economics: The Difficulties of a Statesman’
- Emily Heathcote, ‘Postmodernist Literature and Postmodernist Editing’
- James Hirst, ‘Modernist Magazines, Editing Networks, and Short Fiction’
Former PhD students include:
- Hollie Johnson, ‘Ecodystopia: Environmental Apocalypse and the Ecocidal Imagination’
- Emma Zimmerman, ‘Architexture: Space, Form, and the Modernist Novel’
In addition to the above-mentioned students, I’ve acted as the internal examiner for multiple PhD theses and as the external examiner for theses at the University of Strathclyde and King’s College, London.