Catherine is keen to see her research activities incorporated operationally for the benefit of society. In order to achieve this she works with the TSB Knowledge Transfer Network and numerous industrial partners, including Birmingham City Council, AMEY, Western Power, Severn Trent and Space industries, as well as a number of SMEs and other academic institutes. She has also developed Earth Observation and Remote Sensing training materials for SMEs as part of the G-STEP project at University of Leicester, and is currently involved in three KT-related projects.
- PI: TSB ‘Internet of Things’ Competition demonstrator funding - Demonstrating the Internet of School Things – A National Collaborative Experience (DISTANCE) consortium (UoB: £68,863, 02/2013). Partners include Intel, Cosm, the OU, the geography collective and ScienceScope
- Co-I: TSB ‘Internet of Things’ Competition demonstrator funding - Smart Streets consortium (UoB: £68,863, 02/2013). In Touch Limited is the project lead. UoB will provide the real-time weather data and expertise
- Co-I: NERC 'Environmatal Data Call' - Sustainable Urban Meteorological Networks: Managing the Legacy of the Birmingham Urban Climate Laboratory (SUMNs) (£13k, 06/2013).
Educational Outreach and Public Engagement
Catherine carries out a number of educational outreach (key stages 1-5) and public engagements activities, including:
- Her involvement with the Space Academy at University of Leicester and the National Space Centre
- STEM workshops and masterclasses for KS 1-5 (Earth Observations; Climate Change; Weather and Climate; Remote sensing; GIS; Urban meteorology)
- Websites/e-learning/computer-based practicals
- Social Media (@BUCL_HiTemp, BUCL facebook page)
- Press releases
- Career events / talks / outreach events
- Mentoring, tutoring and work experience
- Teacher CPD workshops
- Podcasts: http://planetearth.nerc.ac.uk/multimedia/story.aspx?id=1252
Public Engagement Funding:
- PI: UK Space Agency 'Space for All' Sponsorship Scheme 2012/13 (£2,040.00, SFA2011-024): 'Hot Cities: Monitoring the Health of our Cities from Space!' Hands-on workshops for KS 1-3 and teachers to introduce urban climatology and thermal remote sensing of cities.
- PI: UK Space Agency 'Space for All' Sponsorship Scheme 2010/11 (£3,386.52): 'The Blue Marble: Monitoring Earth from Space' Inter-disciplinary, hands-on materclasses for KS 1 & 2 to introduce Earth Observations, Global Navigation and applications.
- PI: RCUK National Science and Engineering Week Awards 2010 (£1,692.08): 'Observing Planet Earth: You can be a scientist!' An inter-disciplinary, hands-on introduction to Earth Observation Science (EOS) and applications for Key Stage 4 physics, chemistry and biology students, incorporating demonstrations and activities.
Related Publications and Proceedings:
Muller, C.L., Roberts, S., Remedios, J.J., Henderson, J., Wilkinson, J., Wilkinson, M., Illingworth, S., Greaves, R. (2013) The Blue Marble: A Model for Primary School STEM Outreach, Physics Education, vol. 48, p. 176
Roberts, S.J., Muller, C.L., Knight, P.T. & Ojha, A. (2010) SpaceAcademy: Developing Geospatial Capability in UK Schools – The Role of Open Source GIS, Google Earth, Google Forms and the Global Positioning System, Open Source GIS Conference 2010,University of Nottingham, 21st-22nd June 2010
Muller, C.L., S. Roberts, A.Wells, A. Ojha, C. Bishop, J.J. Remedios, T.Moore, A. Edwards,(2010) East Midlands, UK: Communication, Education and Training Activities, NEREUS CET workshop, Toulouse Space Show 2010, 8th-11th June 2010
Muller, C.L. (2010) Geospatial Data and Technology in the Classroom: Multispectral remote Sensing workshop, Space Conference for Science Teachers,Leicester, 24th-16th April 2010
Ojha, A., Williamson, R., Muller, C.L., Hill, S. (2010) Space Academy Workshop, Space Exploration Education Conference, NASA Houston, February 2010
Roberts, S. and Muller, C.L. (2010) Using the Global Positioning System in the Science Classroom, Association for Science Education Annual Conference 2010,Nottingham, 6-9 January 2010
Muller, C.L., Ojha, A., Hill, S., Remedios, J.J., Moore, T., Wells, A.,Barstow, M., Jarvis, T., Brown, C., Allen, S., Green, J., Althorpe, S., Williamson, R., Carr, C., Knight, P. (2009) SPACE ACADEMY: Using Earth Observations in Science Teaching, RSPSoc conference 2009, Leicester, 7th - 11th Sept 2009
- Royal Meteorological Society Associate Member
- American Meteorological Society