Communication and Skills in Biosciences
Science communication in videography, writing and speaking, ethics in science, analysis of the scientific literature.
- BSc Biochemistry, BSc Biological Sciences, BSc Human Biology
The module aims to improve scientific writing, oral presentation, science communication and group work skills.
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- Articulate and discuss ethical issues arising in scientific research
- Understand the nature of the scientific literature
- Be able to search and retrieve articles from the scientific literature using defined search criteria and on-line databases and libraries
- Critically review and interpret a research paper
- Understand why particular statistical tests have been performed, and know how to report the results of statistical tests and interpret results in published papers.
- Communicate ideas clearly, both orally and in written exams and extended essays
- Communicate complex scientific ideas to a ‘lay’ audience
- Develop strategies to organise your time effectively and coordinate the delegation of defined tasks.
- Identify three skills and describe the circumstance or scenario in which you could deploy or have deployed them effectively
- Work in groups to produce a short video that addresses a scientific question
Lectures, seminars, practical classes and workshops, guided independent study
Extended essay (40%); Oral presentation (20%); Group Video assessment (40%)