The College of Medical and Dental Sciences has a combined student population of around 3,800 undergraduate and 1,400 postgraduate students (taught and research).
Each year the College trains 400 medical students of which 130 intercalate on a choice of programmes after the second, third or fourth year of their course. We also train 70 dental students, 200 biomedical science students, 160 nursing students, 100 pharmacy students, and 70 physician associate students.
There are also approximately 875 postgraduate taught students and 650 postgraduate research students in the College, managed by a cross-College Graduate School.
The College has a number of excellent league table positions for emphasising our world leading research and teaching as follows:
UK league tables
- Times 2023: Ranked 10th for Dentistry, 15th for Pharmacology & Pharmacy and 19th for Medicine.
- Complete University Guide 2023: Ranked 8th for Biomedical Science, 13th for Pharmacy and 14th for Nursing.
- Guardian 2023: Ranked 8th for Biomedical Science (previously Anatomy & Physiology).
Global league tables
- QS World rankings 2023: 67th for Medicine, 40th for Anatomy & Physiology, 22nd for Dentistry, and Pharmacy ranked in the top 100. The Life Sciences and Medicine overarching faculty area is ranked joint 62nd in the world.
- US News rankings 2023: 26th for Surgery, 37th for Endocrinology and Metabolism, 58th for Cardiac and Cardiovascular Systems, 14th for Gastroenterology and Hepatology and 65th for Clinical Medicine.
- Shanghai rankings 2022: 22nd for Dentistry and 51st – 75th for Clinical Medicine.
- Times Higher Education rankings 2022: 68th for Clinical and 86th for Life Sciences.
The College has excellent library and reference facilities, including the Barnes Library and the Doug Ellis Learning Hub, which complement the wider facilities available to students on campus.
Clinical teaching takes place at all hospitals in Birmingham and many of the hospitals across the region while the Institute of Clinical Sciences provides a clear focus for integrating our education and training programmes, co-ordinating all teaching, student engagement and related activity across the College to deliver a high quality student experience.
Our Schools dedicated to the delivery of research and education are: