The College of Medical and Dental Sciences has a combined student population of around 3,800 undergraduate and 1,400 postgraduate students (taught and research).
Each year the College trains 400 medical students, including a Graduate Entry cohort. 130 of our medical students intercalate on a choice of programmes after the second, third or fourth year of their course. We also train 70 dental students, 200 biomedical science students, 160 nursing students, 100 pharmacy students, and 70 physician associate students.
There are also approximately 875 postgraduate taught students and 650 postgraduate research students in the College, managed by a cross-College Graduate School.
The College has a number of excellent league table positions for 2021 emphasising our world leading research and teaching as follows:
UK league tables
- Guardian: Ranked 9th for Anatomy and Physiology (relates to our BSc Biomedical Science course).
- Times 2021 ranked 9th for Nursing.
- Complete University Guide 2022: Ranked 11th for Nursing.
Global league tables
- QS World Rankings: 86th for Life Sciences and Medicine overall, 20th for Dentistry, 71st for Clinical Medicine, 91st for Pharmacy & Pharmacology, and ranked 51st – 100th for Nursing and Anatomy and Physiology.
- US News rankings: 28th for surgery, 33rd for Endocrinology and Metabolism, 34th for Cardiac and Cardiovascular Systems, 37th for Gastroenterology and Hepatology, and 5th for Clinical Medicine.
- Shanghai rankings: 19th for Dentistry and 51st – 75th for Clinical Medicine.
- Times Higher Education rankings: 104th for Clinical and 111th for Life Sciences.
The College has excellent library and reference facilities, including the Barnes Library and the Doug Ellis Learning Hub, which complement the wider facilities available to students on campus.
Clinical teaching takes place at all hospitals in Birmingham and many of the hospitals across the region while the Institute of Clinical Sciences provides a clear focus for integrating our education and training programmes, co-ordinating all teaching, student engagement and related activity across the College to deliver a high quality student experience.
Our Schools dedicated to the delivery of research and education are: