The Athena SWAN taskforce have been working hard to improve the opportunities and support of its colleagues across the College of Medical and Dental Sciences.
In order to achieve the Athena SWAN silver award we are proud to have implemented the key achievements below.
Athena SWAN College of Medical and Dental Sciences Key Achievements
- More women in leadership positions within the College outperforming national averages for women in senior positions
- Increase in females promoted to Senior Research Fellow, Lecturer and Reader level
- More women encouraged to apply for full time contracts as their fixed term contracts are come to an end
- Invested in dedicated HR administrators who assist line managers with a comprehensive induction process and checklist
- Establishment of a cross college Career Development Hub with College of Life and Environmental Sciences and College of Engineering and Physical Sciences with the focus of meeting the needs of Early Career Researchers
- Newly appointed lecturers on probation are assigned a mentor, an open mentoring scheme has currently been launched focused on supporting early-career academics
- Staff members on fixed term contracts are entitled to enhanced University maternity pay without having to return to work
- Staff members are encouraged to request flexible working on return from maternity/paternity leave to help maintain a healthy work-life balance
- Guidelines for timing of departmental meetings to be between 10am-3pm where ever possible. In addition, the timing of high profile events such as Birmingham Professional are rotated so most can attend at least some of the events
- The College has the highest rate of staff completing the Equality and Diversity training with 92% of staff completing training
- Newly refurbished breastfeeding room