The Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team have worked hard to improve opportunities and support for our colleagues across the College of Medical and Dental Sciences.
The College's Athena SWAN Silver award recognises some of the key achievements for gender equality listed below.
Athena SWAN College of Medical and Dental Sciences Key Achievements
- More women in leadership positions within the College outperforming national averages for women in senior positions
- Increase in women promoted to Senior Research Fellow, Lecturer and Reader level
- More women encouraged to apply for full time contracts as their fixed term contracts are come to an end
- Invested in dedicated HR administrators who assist line managers with a comprehensive induction process and checklist
- Newly appointed lecturers on probation are assigned a mentor, an open mentoring scheme has currently been launched focused on supporting early-career academics
- Staff members on fixed term contracts are entitled to enhanced University maternity pay without having to return to work
- Staff members are encouraged to request flexible working on return from family leave to help maintain a healthy work-life balance
- Guidelines for timing of departmental meetings to be between 10am-3pm where ever possible and the timing of high profile events such as Birmingham Professional are rotated so most can attend at least some of the events
- Newly refurbished breastfeeding room